PDA

View Full Version : Postgre/HEM Problems

kingb51
03-23-2009, 06:38 PM
I am on Windows XP sp2.

Last night I was using HEM and it was running fine when a Postgre error popped up. Hem stopped working at this point. I restart my computer and see if the HEM would be ok and continue working. When I opened it up, It says "An error occurred when retrieving the player list: ERROR: XX000: catalog is missing 3 attribute(s) for relid 16493."

I click "ok" and the same error pops up again. I click ok the second time and then HEM opens fine. But now, all my player database is missing. I cant view any of my stats/players or anything.

I need to figure out how to fix these problems. Thanks in advance.

morny
03-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Looks like your database has become corrupt, please export your hands http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=173 and then create a new database http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=146 and then reimport the hands into the new database

Depending on how corrupt it is you may not be able to export the hands, if this is the case then youll need to create a new database and import your archived hands

kingb51
03-24-2009, 04:23 PM
What can i do to prevent this in the future? I have heard of many people having problems with this postgre

morny
03-25-2009, 10:15 AM
The 2 most common causes of this problems are 1) powering off your computer or having your computer lose power while the database is doing something and 2) an old drive with bad sectors on it. Basically what happens is a small portion of a file gets slightly corrupt and then when you reboot and windows goes into that checkdsk procedure it finds the bad section and, thinking it is doing a good thing, removes it. Postgres then loads the table and a portion of it is gone so it doesn’t like that and blocks access to the entire table. Normally when this happens it is on a completely useless file that you'll never even notice is now gone and quite often it will happen to an index in the DB which can easily be rebuilt but in your case it happened to a system table.

So, to protect against this

1) keep you hands histories in case you do need to reimport
2) use a power bar and avoid hard shutdowns (when you flick the power switch on the pc)
3) if your drive is old consider replacing it with a new one. They are cheap and much faster now than even a few years ago.