PDA

View Full Version : HEM/HUD freezes computer, please help!!

asandmanvertigo
06-06-2011, 07:08 PM
When I have my HUD turned on almost every session I will encounter a technical problem where my computer freezes for 30seconds such that I am unable to click any buttons and I endup timing out. The computer freezing issue has cost me many big pots and lots of money.

My computer is fast enough for the poker programs that I am running. When my computer freezes I have to terminate my table manager. When I terminate the table manager everything goes back to normal instantly.

Please let me know what is causing the problem (eg could it be the HEM importing process). Can I disable certain options in game to avoid the freezing. Please let me know what I can do to solve the problem.

Please Help!!!

Patvs
06-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

Please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate.exe

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Turn off user account control: How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 « My Digital Life (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/30/how-to-disable-and-turn-off-uac-in-windows-7/)

Add exceptions to the windows firewall for those files (hmhud.exe, holdemmanager.exe), even if the firewall is turned off.

asandmanvertigo
06-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I use Windows Vista, Norton Internet Security as firewall and antivirus. User account control has always been turned off

My account is already the administrator, therefore I assume I do not need to set the files as "run as admin". Is that correct? The checkmark option cannot be selected.

I have gone into my firewall and set HMHUD.exe, holdemmanager.exe, and, HMimport.exe to allow.

Is there anything else I should do?

Patvs
06-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Can you: update Norton to the 2011 version... turn off Norton SONAR.
Add hmhud.exe and holdemmanager.exe to the Norton Firewall/Sonar exceptions list.
Or uninstall Norton completely.

Read: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/339/Software+Security+Problems+%28Firewall%29

asandmanvertigo
06-07-2011, 02:34 PM
I think i have the newest version of norton internet security. I do not have norton sonar.

I have followed all the instructions in the link you posted.

Do you think the computer freezing is caused by my antivirus?? If so why does it happen periodically, like every 4 hours or so.

Do you think norton antivirus is the problem here? What other antivirus software will not give me these problems.

Patvs
06-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Norton recently started to cause a lot of problems with HoldemManager.
Because Norton monitors TableManager hmhud.exe (thinks it's dangerous) making the HUD crash.

As a test. Uninstall Norton. And reboot.
And install AVG Free instead (AVG 64 bit if you have a 64 bit operation system)

Read:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

asandmanvertigo
06-08-2011, 11:50 AM
My norton subscription is coming to an end.
I don't mind paying for a software that performs Antivirus and firewall protection.

Can you recommend a different antivirus software that will produce fewer problems with HEM? Or do most antivirus softwares produce conflicts.

Patvs
06-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Most (Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee) can cause problems.
Read:

Similarly firewalls like Comodo (and the firewalls from Norton, McAfee) can cause problems.

It is possible to set exceptions: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/339/Software+Security+Problems+%28Firewall%29

Ideally (for HoldemManager) you use:
Windows Firewall (as the firewall)
AVG / Avira / Avast (all are FREE) as the anti-virus software.
You may use any Anti-Spyware software, but Spybot Search & Destroy will cause problems after you use it for a few months.

I really like: AVG Free (because AVG 64 bit if you have a 64 bit operation system is the only true 64 bit anti-virus scanner)

asandmanvertigo
06-18-2011, 10:44 PM
today HEM froze my computer system again in a $600 pot when i had the nuts, its very frustrating

i rely on HEM and i don't think deleting antivirus is an option for me

what happens when my system freezes is that in windows task manager, CPU usage suddenly shoots to 100%, and when i quit HEM it goes back to normal

I am considering buying a new computer, do you think it is likely to fix the problem? Or is this really a pure conflict between antivirus and HEM.

My current laptop has the following specs:
AMD athlon x2 dual core 1.9 Ghz processor, 3.0 GB of RAM

Patvs
06-19-2011, 06:48 AM
How large in GB is your database?
How fast / large is your current harddisk?

---

Which version of Norton do you have exactly?
There only is a minor HoldemManager issue with Norton 2010, where HoldemManager will close TableManager (and delete hmhud.exe) which won't cause lagging/crashes. Read: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-bugs/52951-norton-antivirus-version-1-11-06b.html

Read:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

asandmanvertigo
06-19-2011, 01:46 PM
my currend harddisk is 170GB free out of 280GB

i don't know how to check the size of my database, but i've got about 700 thousand hands in it

i realized my norton was 2010 all along, but today i upgraded it to 2011

i also added the HEM folded to be exluded from sonar and scans

if i understand things correctly, are you saying:
[1]optimizing database has nothing to do with computer lagging, it will only cause ur hands and stats to load faster?
[2]my current computer is fast enough to handle HEM, its sonar that is causing the issue so getting a better computer won't solve the problem? my table manager has never been shutdown on its own, my problem is that there are spikes of extreme lag

Patvs
06-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Which PostgreSQL version are you using?
Logging is turned off? (read about logging in:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html )
Also turn port 5432, and postgres.exe to the Windows Firewall exceptions list.
(turn on Windows Firewall, add holdemmanager.exe, hmhud.exe, postgres.exe (port 5432) to its exceptions)

--

Turn off SONAR completely. (after you've set exceptions to holdemmanager.exe, hmhud.exe, postgres.exe (port 5432)

--

Look at it this way:
You 700.000 hands will be about a 7 GB database.
Your 5400 RPM 280 GB laptop harddisk, has a 4K read/write speed of 0.6 MB/s.
When you're multi-tabling HoldemManager will import <1 MB in handhistories every 5 seconds.

When those hands are imported, they're written to the database, the tables are updated, HoldemManager reads the updated tables---> and the HUD stats on your table will update.

This potentially generates 50+ MB in harddisk activity with a speed of only 0.6 MB/s (so after 83 seconds the database is updated).

But HoldemManager gets new updated handhistories every 5 seconds!

--

A normal computer would still be able to handle this.
But this is the reason why PostgreSQL will eat up a lot of system resources: CPU, RAM and harddisk activity. (especially if players: multi-table, and have a large database)

--

Lagging occurs when:
-The computer can't handle it. Also common problem on SUPER FAST computers, if the harddisk is slow and the database is large. (1) Or if you only have 1 GB RAM, or a slow CPU.
-If another program (read: firewall, anti-virus program, Windows Defender, or Windows itself with its User Account Control settings) is monitoring the PostgreSQL connection, or is monitoring all harddisk activity. (2)

(2) is the most common issue.

Optimizing the database: vacuum/reindex, (and defragging the entire harddisk), can help to prevent lag.

But if your harddisk is a regular laptop harddisk (build to be energy efficient, not to be fast) every player will reach a lagging threshold at some point.

Mostly it's at the 5+ million hand database mark (50 GB database), so I still think your issues can be prevented by performing every tweak there is. Though one of those tweaks would be to get rid of Norton.