PDA

View Full Version : Aggression

SaynotoKlaus
06-04-2011, 05:41 PM
How does HM determine aggression , and whats the difference between the two types of aggression?
I red that guide where stats are explained but i still didn't understood . If a dude has high agg factor what does it mean , that he bets often or that he make large bets?
I have this guy in my database , who has inf agg factor on all streets , i played 80 hands at the same table with him. Is he some sort of maniac or what?

Patvs
06-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Aggression Factor = (Bets + Raises) / Calls
(checking/folding doesn't affect it)

This results in a value between 0 and INF (infinite)
If a player never calls, but always bets/raises, his AGG will be infinite.

Both Aggression Factor and Aggression Percentage are mostly used in postflop decision making. Since it will tell you the likelihood the opponent will bet on each street.

Aggression Percentage = aggressive action on each street. So if I bet the turn and the river but check the flop I would have 66% Agg Pct because I made 2 out of 3 aggressive actions.

So it's ( (Bets + Raises) / (Bets + Raises) + Calls ) * 100%.

In the example above the action results in a Agg Pct of 66%.
The Agg Factor would be: 2 / 1 = 2
Both results mean the same: the opponent is 2x more likely to bet, than he is to call.
So if you have a GOOD hand on the turn/river, and you're out of position, just check to this opponent hoping he will bet.

Patvs
06-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Read: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/hud-general/29623-what-optimal-agg-stat-sngs.html

or

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/hud-general/36153-agg-factor.html

SaynotoKlaus
06-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Calling doesn't affect Aggression Percentage , right?

Patvs
06-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Folding/Checking doesn't affect it.

Aggression Percentage = ( (Bets + Raises) / (Bets + Raises) + Calls ) * 100%.

Calling (see formulas) does.

SamMan
06-21-2011, 05:15 AM
Aggression Percentage = aggressive action on each street. So if I bet the turn and the river but check the flop I would have 66% Agg Pct because I made 2 out of 3 aggressive actions.

Hmmm... What we have done on pre-flop in this case? Why our pre-flop action doesn't affect calculations?

Patvs
06-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Your preflop actions will also be used for the aggression stat.

Edit: it's based on postflop! play only

SamMan
06-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Your preflop actions will also be used for the aggression stat.

Suppose you are mistake, since as I discover after my previous post formula (http://forums.holdemmanager.com/custom-reports/3595-formulas-every-hm-stat-updated-nov-12-2009-a.html) to calculate AggPct is:

Evaluate="(BetOnFlop+BetOnTurn+BetOnRiver)*100.0/(SawFlop+SawTurn+SawRiver)"

No pre-flop as you see...

Patvs
06-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Ah you're right. It's postflop only.

Stat GroupName="Default" ColumnName="PostFlopAggPct"

JH1
12-08-2011, 09:34 AM

Bump. Can someone clarify this? In the example, you have a flop check affecting the Aggression %, but then in your formula you have no mention of checks (or folds). Can you clearly state whether checks and folds are calculated into Ag%?

( (Bets + Raises) / (Bets + Raises) + Calls ) * 100% <-- no checks or folds

(Bets + Raises ) / (Bets + Raises + Calls + Checks + Folds) * 100 <-- uses checks and folds

or to put more simply if it does use checks and folds: (Bets + Raises) / Total # of Actions * 100.

Example using (Bets + Raises) / Total # of Actions * 100:

Flop:
1A) A Bets - 1 Aggressive - 100%
1B) B Calls - 1 Passive - 0%

Turn:
2A) A Bets - 2 Aggressive - 100%
2B) B Raises - 1 Aggressive 1 Passive - 50%
3A) A Calls - 2 Aggressive 1 Passive - 67%

River:
4A) A Checks - 2 Aggressive 2 Passive - 50%
3B) B Bets - 2 Aggressive 1 Passive - 67%
5A) A Raises - 3 Aggressive 2 Passive - 60%
4B) B Folds - 2 Aggressive 2 Passive - 50%

Resulting in:
Player A having 60% Ag% (3/5) Total.
Player B having 50% Ag% (2/4) Total.

Removing the check and the fold from the calculation would result in:
Player A having 75% (3/4) Total.
Player B having 67% (2/3) Total.

Patvs
12-08-2011, 11:18 AM
(checking/folding doesn't affect it)

So you're correct the formula isn't
( (Bets + Raises) / (Bets + Raises) + Calls ) * 100%.

You could state it's: Streets you Bet + Raise / total the number of streets you make a decision (so includes checking and calling) * 100%.

JH1
12-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Ok that makes sense, so it would be (At least one Bet or Raise on a street) / Streets.

Therefore a flop check-raise, turn bet, and river bet = 100% whereas a a flop check, turn bet, river bet or flop bet, turn bet, river fold are 67%.

All that matters is that you made at least 1 bet or raise on a street for 1aggro/1street = 100% on that street, and if you only check, call or fold a street it gets 0aggro/1street = 0%. Kind of a binary aggro 1, passive 0 where aggro overrides any passive actions.

Makes perfect sense now, thanks!