PDA

View Full Version : How to install postgres on a separate SSD

Dodgyrocker
06-02-2011, 08:28 AM
My friend has just built me a new PC with two SSDs, one of which I intend to reserve solely for my HEM database. I have my operating system on one SSD and want to keep my HEM database on the other SSD. However, when I came to install HEM the setup program was all automated and it didn't offer an option to install postgres on the 2nd SSD (it DID offer the option of installing HEM on the 2nd SSD, but not postgres).

What is the easiest way to set my HEM up so that my database/postgres is all on my 2nd SSD?

netsrak
06-02-2011, 10:16 AM
You need to install postgresql separately.
Download and install the latest version from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org) to your SSD.

Dodgyrocker
06-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Out of interest, is it a 'good thing' to have postgres/HEM database on a separate SSD? I was under the impression that it would make things run faster, that's why I opted to get two SSDs. But I have now had conflicting advice saying that having the database on a different SSD to the OS would make things slower, not faster. What is the truth?

Patvs
06-02-2011, 06:20 PM
If the SSDs are fast, performance will be the same, whether you have the database on a separate SSD, or Windows + database on one harddisk.

The advantage of two disks will be, it's easier to perform backups, restore backups, (or backup the entire drive) where it doesn't affect the Windows system drive.

Or if you're rendering Photoshop/video's on drive 1... and are running a import from folder reimporting 5 million hands on drive 2, having two drives will benefit the performance. But this will only be noticeable running extreme tasks.