PDA

View Full Version : trying to install...won't connect to postgreSQL

stilldihard
03-11-2009, 09:38 PM
at the connect to postgreSQL page, i am told a connection cannot be made, then that HEM cannot start the service, then that it can...but when i try again, i get the same 3 messages on repeat.

i feel dumb asking but im not sure exactly if postgreSQL is running. i "start service" from the start menu and something pops up then disappears...it might still be running i dunno.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

stilldihard
03-11-2009, 09:45 PM
some more info...im using vista but UAC is definitely off.

i dunno what else might help...

also 8.3

stilldihard
03-12-2009, 12:34 AM
hi. a few questions.

what is the expected wait time for a reply from support? is there actual support in email form like with poker tracker?

i think my problem is actually with the installation of postgreSQL...im pretty sure it isn't running on my comp. it flashes to start and there is what i believe to be an error message but it is only up for a split second and i cannot read it.

that being said, when i unzip the file i downloaded here, i don't have a 8.3.msi version...i just have 8.3 and 8.3-int...so maybe this is the problem. where do i find the 8.3.msi file????????

i guess i cannot really move forward until this first question is answered...hopefully somebody can help soon.

if the answer is hidden somewhere in these forums and i just didn't see it, sorry in advance...but that's why i was hoping for email support.

ADsicilian
03-12-2009, 03:36 AM
Having the same problem. Except Holdem manager has been working for me for the past 4 months and now the problem just randomly started happening today. I went through FAQ ID # 171 and even uninstalled / reinstalled postgreSQL. I also did windows system restore to 1 week prior and it still didn't work. Pokertracker 3 still works though. Guess I have to use that now...

J10BLN
03-12-2009, 03:39 AM
I had to uninstall and reinstall both postgreSQL and HEM about 3 times to get it to work. I found that putting all of the passwords and log in details as the same so there is no confusion fixed it.

exitonly
03-12-2009, 03:44 AM
Having the same problem. Except Holdem manager has been working for me for the past 4 months and now the problem just randomly started happening today. I went through FAQ ID # 171 and even uninstalled / reinstalled postgreSQL. I also did windows system restore to 1 week prior and it still didn't work. Pokertracker 3 still works though. Guess I have to use that now...

same here. i've tried the two relevant FAQ's and still can't get it back.

exitonly
03-12-2009, 03:50 AM
boh, missed the giant thread about it. for others as blind as me the following got me working again:

Fabio found the following and it worked for the first person I tried it on: doing the following steps are apparently fixing the problem so many people are having:

1: Go to "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc" and open the "hosts" file with notepad
2: Delete existing text
3: Enter "127.0.0.1 localhost"
4: Save the file
5: Restart PostgreSQL service

fsaizerais
03-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Did we have to delete all the 10 or 15 lines and just replace by the two words?

J10BLN
03-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Yeah you delete everything

stilldihard
03-12-2009, 01:14 PM
thanks for the help exitonly, etc.

however, changing the notes file did not fix my problem.

support, your help would be greatly appreciated!

stilldihard
03-12-2009, 01:52 PM
so i just went thru faq 171 again and maybe some of my problems arise here...

i dunno if i had version 8.3.5 or 8.3.6 (it only details up to 8.3 for me...so are they the same? interchangeable?)

also, when i...

Go to http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/ and choose the applicable version number
Then Choose Win32 on the next page then click on the postgreql-8.x.0-1.zip and the download will begin

the best option appears to be postgresql-8.3.5-1.zip (but...in theory it should be 3.0 not 3.5 (or 3.6) so is this a problem or not?)

and also...when you get to the page where it asks for the username and password youll see a "Initialise Database Cluster" tickbox, please untick this and complete the installation

it is already unticked for me. maybe that's fine...but it could mean i screwed something up somewhere which is leading to a different course of action than the FAQ indicates.

does support exist? are they on vacation? i really wish i hadn't already paid for this assuming it would work fine...i guess i'm the sucker.

fsaizerais
03-12-2009, 03:18 PM
when i want to save, the new text, the computer said is not possible to create C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, and i have to check if the name is good!!!!!!!!
What can i do?

Edit : you have to uncheck UAC