PDA

View Full Version : HM still not working properly - help please

C_Pock
03-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Hi all -

I had the same problem as many with the latest windows defender update. I solved the problem by amending the 'host' file (127.0.0.1 etc..)

HM worked initially on the first reboot.

However, I now have this problem which must be connected, please dont jump to any conclusions about a potential fix, as I have tried all suggested avenues so far (those found on this forum, those on other forums eg 2+2).

The error message on starting HM reads "Error: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."

What appears to be happening is that postgreSQL service starts, but is terminated/prevented from lasting: when I go to administrative tools -> services and start the service there, it begins successfuly but within 2-3 minutes fails. I then get the error message: "The PostgreSQL Database server 8.3 service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programmes."

Significantly if I try to start holdem manager immediately after initiating postgreSQL service, holdem manager successfully starts. But only to fail after 2-3 minutes when the postgreSQL service is interrupted as described above.

It has been suggested to me several times that this is an issue regarding anti-virus software/spyware etc. HM has worked fine on my system for several months and there has been little change to the anti-virus configuration during this period. It is the windows defender update that seems to have initiated the problems.

I am using windows vista, and have reinstalled postgreSQL which has no effect, same issue. Not sure what else to say... UAC has been disabled throughout...

please help!!!!!

kiddo
03-12-2009, 10:31 AM
and u have tried to restore computer to date before defender was installed? it worked for me (i got vista) but for others it looks like it didnt

it worked since i did it (2 days) and i have restarted my comp. several times (of course I dont click the "install new updates when u close down" when i close down, but u seems to know more about comp then me so of course u dont)

C_Pock
03-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Thankyou kiddo for your reply.

Unfortunately system restore seems to have a problem too. This is isolated from the postgresql/HEM issue. Just my luck! I did try system restore but no joy. Appreciate your help though.

Thanks again.

ddnick
03-12-2009, 06:53 PM
I've got the exact same problem as you guys, I had this software for about 3 months and it stopped working just by itself. Can at least an administrator tell us what is going on and hopefully tell us when the problem will be solved. Thanks.

morny
03-12-2009, 08:54 PM
We have the fix:

Hi, Microsoft released a patch last night that has caused some issues with
the postgresql service for some people on Vista. The following steps seem to
get around this problem:

1: Go to "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc" and open the "hosts" file with
notepad

It might look something like this:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

::1 localhost

2: Enter "127.0.0.1 localhost" (without the quotes) at the bottom of the
file
4: Save the file
5: Restart PostgreSQL service by clicking on Start Menu - Programs -
Postgresql - Start Service

Thanks,

Roy

Anyone having issues can you please do the following and let me know what the error is:

Try and start the postgreSQL service:
Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Then scroll To PostgreSQL Database Server and make sure it’s started and if not Right click PostgreSQL Database Server and choose start

Most likely this will give an error like:
The postgreSQL Database service started then stopped, Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do...

When you get the error do the following:
Go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Applications and in there for the time corresponding to the time you got the error starting the service you should see a postgreSQL error, copy and paste the details of the error into this thread

Lastly you do not need to delete all the text in that file, its fine if you do but you dont need to but make sure the following lines are in it:

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost