PDA

View Full Version : HEM shuts down immediately after start up

khufu
03-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I had the postgres problem after latest Windows Defender update. Before the solution was found I tried pretty much everything (reinstalled postgres and HEM, uninstalled antivirus and firewall programs and disabled Windows firewall and defender). At some point my situation took a turn to the worse: After starting HEM I couldn't even see the loading screen or any error message. If I had taskmanager running while I started HEM I could see Holdemmanager.exe appearing and shutting down immediately after that. After I edited my Hosts-file according to the instruction I can now access to postgres again via pgAdmin. However, HEM won't still start. Dbcontrolpanel.exe and HMhud.exe start up normally, but Holdemmanager.exe shuts down immediately after startup.

I have tried every solution that was proposed here (reinstalling .NET, postgres and HEM): http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6901

Can't see any HEM related massages in Event Viewer either.

So please, what could I do?

EDIT: My operating system is Windows Vista and I have tried both the latest final version and the latest beta version of HEM.

Al1
03-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Can you reboot your PC.

Then stop the postgreSQL service and reboot your PC and restart the postgreSQL service: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=34

Any change?

scandilous
03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
I had the postgres problem after latest Windows Defender update. Before the solution was found I tried pretty much everything (reinstalled postgres and HEM, uninstalled antivirus and firewall programs and disabled Windows firewall and defender). At some point my situation took a turn to the worse: After starting HEM I couldn't even see the loading screen or any error message. If I had taskmanager running while I started HEM I could see Holdemmanager.exe appearing and shutting down immediately after that. After I edited my Hosts-file according to the instruction I can now access to postgres again via pgAdmin. However, HEM won't still start. Dbcontrolpanel.exe and HMhud.exe start up normally, but Holdemmanager.exe shuts down immediately after startup.

I have tried every solution that was proposed here (reinstalling .NET, postgres and HEM): http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6901

Can't see any HEM related massages in Event Viewer either.

So please, what could I do?

I would suggest that you make a system restore to like 11am-1pm yesterday first then do all the Host changes and then if it still doesnt work uninstall/reinstall postgre. (after renaming the current postg. folder to postgre..._old)

khufu
03-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Tried stopping/restarting the postgreSQL service with reboots as Al1 proposed. Didn't work.

Too bad system restore utility has been disabled in my computer so I don't have any restore points available. Also I have previously tried uninstalling postgreSQL and reinstalling it again in different volume and different directory. That didn't solve the problem either.

Thank you for taking the time to propose some possible solutions. If anyone was any other suggestions I would be eager to hear you out.

Al1
03-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Can you reinstall HM, and don't forget step 4):

1) Make a backup of the "Config" folder in a safe location, this folder is in the RVG Software\Holdem Manager\ folder
2) Export your HUDs via "HUD Options => Player Preferences"
3) Uninstall HM via the Control Panel
4) Go to Program Files and delete the RVG Software directory, or the equivalent for Vista
5) Reboot your computer
6) Install the complete setup of HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/holdemmanager.zip
7) Upgrade HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Hm1.08Beta.exe
8) Test if it works for a while and if it does proceed to step 9
9) Overwrite the backuped "holdemmanager.config" file in the new Config directory to recover your settings
10) Test if it works again for another while and if it does proceed to step 11
11) Import your HUDs via "HUD Options => Player Preferences"
12) Test if it works

khufu
03-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Followed the instructions that Al1 gave, but still no success. When I got to the step 8 and tried to launch HEM nothing happened. I had also previously tried to "clean" reinstall HEM.

What next? :)

EDIT: Problem solved! Uninstalling the latest Comodo Internet Security suite did the trick. Strange thing, I had added all the HEM and postregSQL files to the exception list, and Comodo and HEM had previously worked well together.

Thanks for help anyway!

lenC
03-10-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm having the same issue, my CPU went nuts today so I had to force restart twice, first time I got the usual postgres error(which resolved) and a notice that my config folder has been re-installed or something - it went back to default(I had changed the graphs colors, that's how I noticed).

Now when I try to open it my Vista gives me the same error notice. For what it's worth, event viewer shows the error:

"Faulting application HoldemManager.exe, version 1.6.0.0, time stamp 0x00000026, faulting module MSVCR80.dll, version 8.0.50727.1434, time stamp 0x4757746d, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000278b4, process id 0x110c, application start time 0x01c9a1ef87945e38."

So could you guys please come up with a decent solution instead of spamming how to re-install HM, as it seems, that's not working.

Al1
03-11-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm having the same issue, my CPU went nuts today so I had to force restart twice, first time I got the usual postgres error(which resolved) and a notice that my config folder has been re-installed or something - it went back to default(I had changed the graphs colors, that's how I noticed).

Now when I try to open it my Vista gives me the same error notice. For what it's worth, event viewer shows the error:

"Faulting application HoldemManager.exe, version 1.6.0.0, time stamp 0x00000026, faulting module MSVCR80.dll, version 8.0.50727.1434, time stamp 0x4757746d, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000278b4, process id 0x110c, application start time 0x01c9a1ef87945e38."

So could you guys please come up with a decent solution instead of spamming how to re-install HM, as it seems, that's not working.

Have you tried to reinstall HM like I have said?
If yes, can you reinstall postgreSQL, the same version you have: http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/

lenC
03-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Ok, I did everything as told(yesterday I didn't reboot), now when I open HM, I get a message: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\msco rwks.dll could not be loaded", I'm assuming I have to re-install MS.NET framework? Using Vista, and that's not in the add/remove programs place, so do you have any guidelines/links?

Al1
03-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Ok, I did everything as told(yesterday I didn't reboot), now when I open HM, I get a message: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\msco rwks.dll could not be loaded", I'm assuming I have to re-install MS.NET framework? Using Vista, and that's not in the add/remove programs place, so do you have any guidelines/links?

Yeha, run a windows update, it will correct this issue generally.
http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=14

lenC
03-11-2009, 04:10 PM
I resolved .NET framework problems by installing Windows' latest updates.

New problem: I open HM, CPU thinks for a second, and then nothing happens - no error report, not anything :(

Al1
03-11-2009, 04:13 PM
I resolved .NET framework problems by installing Windows' latest updates.

New problem: I open HM, CPU thinks for a second, and then nothing happens - no error report, not anything :(

Damn, you have all possible issues. :)
Can you unactivate your anti-virus and firewall, anti-spy and tell me if it changes something.

lenC
03-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Tried it every way - with/without firewalls etc. Reinstalled multiple times, it just does nothing, fwiw HUD and the database .exe-s open usually.

I'm not very happy about formatting my C drive, but I've lost $500 without Hold'em Manager, so please recommend me something else to try :o

Al1
03-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Tried it every way - with/without firewalls etc. Reinstalled multiple times, it just does nothing, fwiw HUD and the database .exe-s open usually.

I'm not very happy about formatting my C drive, but I've lost $500 without Hold'em Manager, so please recommend me something else to try :o

What's the name of your AV, spyware etc...

Can you uninstall them all.
Then uninstall/reinstall HM.

If it don't work, we will do a TeamViewer session.

lenC
03-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Hey, I got it working, I didn't do anything and HM randomly just popped up :o
I'm sure it's 100% mine(and/or Microsofts) problem not yours, and if I seemed hostile in my first post, I'm sorry.

Overall - if anyone has the same problem as I at the beginning - install windows latest updates

if anyone has the problem I had after that - just wait for a mystery

All the best.

BotOnTilt
03-26-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm wondering if I should have created a new thread, but maybe its easier to discuss it here as my problem is similar.

I had some problems with my postgresql in the fall when using PT3, I always had to manually start the service but at some point it wouldn't start at all. Then neither PT3 or HM would start either.

Yesterday I decided to fix my software (had taken a break from poker / played on sites without HUD support).

My setup:
Vista 32-bit, UAC turned off
F-secure antivirus & firewall (PC protection plus)
Postgresql 8.3.7-1.

I managed to re-install Postge SQL after first unloading the F-secure and then manually killing the f-secure process from task manager.

After I re-installed the Postgre SQL I still couldn't start PT3. I had to fire up pgADMIN III and use it to connect to the DB and then start PT3. I used the PT3 guide to configure Postgre SQL and I could create a database and import hands.

But when I try to start HM nothing happens. From the task manager I can see the HM process for a few seconds. I tried uninstalling it several times, also with a reboot before re-installing.

If I try to launch DBControlPanel I instantly get the "DBControlPanel has stopped working" screen from Vista. The following was written in Event Viewer:

Fault bucket 436304781, type 5
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: None
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: dbcontrolpanel.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 492755b6
P4: System.Drawing
P5: 2.0.0.0
P6: 4889dec2
P7: 7af
P8: 6c
P9: System.ArgumentException
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\HP Uset\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1B8C.tmp.version.txt
C:\Users\HP Uset\AppData\Local\Temp\WER59F3.tmp.hdmp

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\HP Uset\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArc hive\Report12a3c3bc

If I run HMHud I get a Table Manager pop-up which tells me it couldn't load config\PosPref.txt and asks about new panel positions. It also writes a few lines to the log file, which is otherwise empty:

1.6.4rc10 12/27/08
loading prefs
loading prefs 2

I checked threads with similar problems, and tried to follow them. However I haven't tried completely uninstalling my AV as I'm not sure if I can find my license key anymore. Any help would be appreciated =)

morny
03-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Please try uninstalling and reinstalling .net framework http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=14

Can you follow these instructions:

1) Make a backup of your C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Config folder
2) Uninstall HM via the Control Panel
3) Go to Program Files and delete the RVG Software directory, or the equivalent for Vista
4) Reboot your computer
5) Install the complete setup of HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/holdemmanager.zip
7) Download the latest patch HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Hm1.08Beta.exe
8) Test if it for a while and see if it work
9) Close down Holdem Manager and copy the config folder from step 1 and copy and overwrite it to your C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Config folder
10) Test if it works again for a while

Then if the problem persists request your license key and uninstall the firewall and also any antivirus completely then uninstall and reinstall PostgreSQL after youve uninstalled and rebooted

BotOnTilt
03-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi Morny,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I unistalled my Antivirus and Firewall, Postgres and HM and deleted the Postgres and HM folders. Rebooted after that.

I reinstalled Postgre, HM and the update (I don't have any configs so nothing to backup and I decided I could get rid of my old PT database.)

When I tried to start HM nothing happened (step 8). I tried doing it a few times, even tried to run the HM without the update and still I can just see process in task manager for a few seconds until it dissapears. So I suppose this isn't related to my Antivirus and Firewall as it was uninstalled? The windows firewall was also off, haven't done anything to defender.

I haven't really had any issues with other software than PT and HM, so I'm not to keen on re-installing Vista. Is there something else I could try?

I'm also thinking of switching to another AV software as I heard there might be some conflicts with F-secure and Postgre, but as I couldn't run HM even after uninstalling the AV I doub't that would be the issue.

Edit: I also checked the link you posted, but it seems on Vista its not too easy to uninstall the net framework. I followed the instructions there to verify the integrity of my files, and it said everything should be fine.

morny
03-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Email me and well arrange a teamviewer session morny@holdemmanager.net