PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to Postgre

Libertin
03-09-2009, 03:20 PM
I installed Hold Em Manager and afterwards Postgre 8.3 but I can't connect to postgre when starting holdemmanger.exe.

I tried this http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=34 but it can't be started.
Also I disabled my firewall (Comodo) and reinstalled Postgre.
Settings are standard (Hostname localhost, Port 5432, username postgres).

Tecahai
03-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Have you install postgres?

What error are you getting?

faldh
03-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I have the same problem, i have been thrue all off the helps... i get the error "a connection to postgreSQL could not be made. Would you like to have Holdem manager attempt to start the service?"

Tecahai
03-09-2009, 04:54 PM
are you on XP or Vista?

Did you say yes?

What error did you get?

did you remember the password when you ste it up?

faldh
03-09-2009, 04:56 PM
i am on vista...
yes i did, but then holdem couldnt start the service...
the password is just the one u wrote in ur heol "postgrespass"

Tecahai
03-09-2009, 05:02 PM
You could uninstall postgres and re-install it again taking care to write down all the passwords:

Have you tried starting the service manually (I don't have vista)

NB: There are 2 passwords: One for PostGres (admin) and one for holdem manager database

faldh
03-09-2009, 05:07 PM
i tried that and still dosnt work. and got all the passwords right. i will try again. ty

morny
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
When following that FAQ in your first post its extremely important to follow every step exactly, if you skip a step or half do a step and just disable an antivirus instead of completely uninstalling it then it just wont work, you should also do the FAQ it links to #171 and follow that exactly

Libertin
03-09-2009, 10:23 PM
My OP is XP SP3. My anti-virus software is AntiVir and I highly doubt that it blocks the connection.
I get the message "A connection to PostgreSQL could not be made. ..."
If I try to start it manually in Services as you recommend it it can't connect either (tries to establish an connection but the try gets aborted after a few minutes).

I installed Postgre 8.3 of course and followed the standard procedure. Do I have to do anything after I installed Postgre?

morny
03-10-2009, 01:08 PM
May be coincedence but Microsoft released a patch sometime last night or this morning which stopped postgreSQL working, did you install any updates yesterday? If so Roy is working hard to get a fix out for this asap so keep an eye on the releases forum

Libertin
03-10-2009, 02:03 PM
I didn't install any updates in the last few days.

Rvg72
03-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Fabio found the following and it worked for the first person I tried it on: doing the following steps are apparently fixing the problem so many people are having:

1: Go to "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc" and open the "hosts" file with notepad
2: Delete existing text
3: Enter "127.0.0.1 localhost"
4: Save the file
5: Restart PostgreSQL service

Libertin
03-10-2009, 04:53 PM
I did that, started pgAdmin III and wanted to connect to localhost.
Error message: Server doesn't listen.

arnani
03-10-2009, 07:12 PM
fixed it with the solution above

Edit:

If u cant edit in the Hosts file move the file to the desktop and then change the file & save it and then move it back into C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc

Libertin
03-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Didn't help.
Do I have to start manually Postgre if I want to use Hold'em Manager or shall I check the settings in Postgre?
Maybe I've done something wrong when installing.