PDA

View Full Version : Unable to start service PostgreSQL

Jerinho
05-20-2011, 04:31 AM
When I try to open HM I get the following message:

....Failed to establish a connection to ....

When I try to connect in the Database Control Panel it says:

A connection could not be made. Would you like to have HM attempt to start the service?

When I say "yes" it says:

Sorry. HM was unable to start the service.

I've tried to manually start the service in the Services screen, but that doesn't work. After 2 minute of trying it says something like (translated from dutch:

Cannot start the PostrgreSQL Server 8.4-service on the Local computer.
Error 1053: The service didn't answer correctly to the start command.

After this, I updated HM to 1.11.06g and made sure that everything starts up as administrator, but no succes.

The only thing I've done prior to al this, is buying a new computer and installing HM on the new PC. Mind you, this problem occurs on the old laptop I've been using before (so not the new PC). Can it have anything to do with license keys orsomething like that?

Patvs
05-20-2011, 04:45 AM
This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it. And reboot.

If that doesn't help you will have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely

---

Also make sure the secondary logon is running:
The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services. Starting it once should insure it works in the future also.

Jerinho
05-20-2011, 05:22 AM
Deleting the pid file did the job. Thx