PDA

View Full Version : DB salvage

The Snapper
03-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Trying to salvage my hand histories DB from a hard drive from my crashed PC.:mad:

What folder names should I look for. :o

morny
03-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Your database is really only meant to be restored via backup and restore or export or import but obviously this cant be done in your case but just to let you know theres a good chance it wont work. If youd still like to try youll find the database files at C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.x\Data

if you have installed postgresql again again on the new PC then turn off the service by finding PostgreSQL in the Start Menu and using the Stop Service option. Then delete the \Data folder in the new installation of postgres and copy your backed up \Data folder over. if you can't delete then you may need to reboot.

Then in the PostgreSQL menu find PostgreSQL again and click on Start Service and if everything went right you should be able to connect to your old database but most times youll just get the cannot connect message

Also when copying from another PC it might retain its previous permissions settings so you might need to update the data folders permission settings to allow PostgreSQL to access the files

If you had access to the old HH on the hard drive it would make things much easier, HM stores archived hands in C:\HMarchive by default or a folder you choose yourself