PDA

View Full Version : What's this error (every time at launch)

domino66
05-17-2011, 11:34 AM
I just took days to create a new DB called "HEM-SUM11", which is also set as my default DB. All of the imports went smoothly; no weird crashes or anything. Optimized it and vac/analyzed it last night.

Now every time I launch HEM, I get the following error screen that coincides with the HEM splash screen:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8752/errs.jpg

- Strangely, when I hit "OK", it both opens HEM, but also gives me the blue "Database Control Panel" screen, whereupon I press "Connect"
- Then I choose HEM-SUM11 as my DB (note that it does NOT have the **Default** designation next to it when it's listed in the DB Control Panel, nor do ANY of my DBs shown.)
- I select it as my Default DB, then press "Start Holdem Manager".
- I then get a "Holdem Manager is already running" popup screen and press OK, whereupon HEM seems to finally be ready for use.

Any idea what's going on here? I don't like rando HEM bugs / errors...suggests to me that something's corrupt...

Sarek
05-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Which WIndows?
Antivirus and/or firewall? Try to disable them
Under Win7 or Vista set to run "as admin" all EXE files in HM folder.

domino66
05-17-2011, 11:51 AM
XP.
Yes, Symantec AVS and a firewall too.

But I don't see what those could have to do with it since I've been using HEM for years without a problem like this and the same computer setup. Why do you ask about those? Do you think it could be security related?

Sarek
05-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Try to disable them. Possibly - uninstall.

domino66
05-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Try to disable them. Possibly - uninstall.

OK...but this still wouldn't really explain why I've never seen this error before despite not changing anything about my computer / setup, etc, and having used HEM with different DBs forever without seeing this error...unless there's something specific about the error message that makes you think it's security-related.

Patvs
05-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Which SQL version are you using?

The error you get is either:
-the sign of a corrupt database
-a program messing with the SQL connection (like a firewall)

So the first things to do would be: set exceptions for \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe, hmhud.exe and postgres.exe to the windows firewall (even if the firewall is turned off!)
If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily.
And run a manual Windows Update and install ALL updates, including security updates, vc++ updates, .net framework updates, service pack 3, etc.

However, since you've been using HoldemManager 'for years' and just created a new database and reimported your hands.... I would update SQL. Which SQL version are you using now? Do you have lots of files in your PostgreSQL/8.x/data/pg_log folder?

Install the latest version from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org) (8.3/8.4/or 9.0)... don't install 9.1 alpha.

So if you have SQL 8.3. Update it to 8.3.15. If you still get the same error---> install SQL 8.4.8 (or 9.0.4) to port 5433, create a new database again and reimport all your hands into the new database.