PDA

View Full Version : PostgreSQL problems

Fenrisulfur
03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Before buying HEM, I also used the trial version of a, umm, competitor. I used the PSQL server of this product, and everything went fine. When trial version for yours and the other product expired, I today bought HEM. After I had entered the key, HEM tried to start the PSQL server, but couldn't do so. I thought "no prob", uninstalled PT3, deleted all of its folders, then tried to delete PSQL 8.3 as I wanted to update to the 8.3.6-1 anyway. Sadly I couldn't do that, as for uninstallation you apparently need the postgresql-8.3-int.msi from this installation, which I had already deleted.

Now I tried installing 8.3.6-1 on top, but all I get is two PSQL services in the service control panel, neither of which will start. When trying to start manually from there, all I get is that the service has been started and stopped again. Any idea what I can do here short of format c:/?

Al1
03-03-2009, 11:21 PM
If you have your HHs somewhere to reimport them later, uninstall postgreSQL from the Control Panel (the twos). After that, go to Program Files and manually delete the postgreSQL folder. Reboot your computer and reinstall it: http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/

LostCause
03-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Before buying HEM, I also used the trial version of a, umm, competitor. I used the PSQL server of this product, and everything went fine. When trial version for yours and the other product expired, I today bought HEM. After I had entered the key, HEM tried to start the PSQL server, but couldn't do so. I thought "no prob", uninstalled PT3, deleted all of its folders, then tried to delete PSQL 8.3 as I wanted to update to the 8.3.6-1 anyway. Sadly I couldn't do that, as for uninstallation you apparently need the postgresql-8.3-int.msi from this installation, which I had already deleted.

Now I tried installing 8.3.6-1 on top, but all I get is two PSQL services in the service control panel, neither of which will start. When trying to start manually from there, all I get is that the service has been started and stopped again. Any idea what I can do here short of format c:/?

I had this same problem today, I always manually start PostgreSQL using the Admin services tool or the pgAdmin Tool that is installed with Postgre.

I have not started the database in quite awhile and when I tried to start it today I received the same error message.

Before you try my suggestion do as Al1 suggested and uninstall Postgre.

After you uninstall it open the system Admin tools and then go to Services, in the Services tool look for an entry name of PostgreSQL Database Server.

If it is listed after you have uninstalled Postgre reply to this post before you try installing PostgreSql again. I will tell you how to remove the service from Windows.

During the last few months I have updated all of my security software such as firewall, adware and spy remover tools and my anti-virus software.

The first thing I did to correct the problem was to disconnect from the Internet, then I shutdown all of my security tools.

Then I tried to start PostgreSql and had no problem.

Then I restarted my security tools in the following order, each time I shutdown and restarted PostgreSQL before going to the next security app.

Anti-Virus (Avast) - no issue after PostgreSQL shutdown/restart

Firewall (ZoneAlarm) - pop-up stating PostgreSql was trying to access the Trusted Zone I added PostgreSql to the trusted list. PostGre then started without a problem. I shutdown/restarted the Database a number of time to make sure.

I then restarted my other security tools such as Ad-Aware Pro, and SpyBot and PostgreSql shutdown and restarted without problems.

If you are going to try what I did MAKE sure you are NOT connected to the Internet, if you do not your system will be unprotected.

On the postgresql.org wiki FAQ site they say the most common reason for "PostgreSQL and/or the installer crashes at startup, fails to start or hangs on start" is due to Firewall and or Anti-Virus software.

Link to Wiki FAQ:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_%26_Installing_PostgreSQL_On_Native_Window s#PostgreSQL_and.2For_the_installer_crashes_at_sta rtup.2C_fails_to_start_or_hangs_on_start