PDA

View Full Version : Two suggestions to add to HEM-speeding things up

omaha
02-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi, i had a lot of trouble with slow imports,and then found out what the issues were.

There are a TON of threads about this.

How about
1) when hem is installed, automatically do the stack builder thing where postgres looks at your machine and then optimises it individually

2) Every so often, after however many hands are imported, have a pop up saying 'you should vaccum now, and if hem wont do it, then this is how you do it manually'

3) tell people that import speeds are mostly to do with drive speed, NOT cpu/ram.

4) Therefore, one of the best things you can do is get a dedicated drive for your hem stuff, in particular so it doesnt fragment as much as your c drive, and is quicker to defrag. I think it would also be great if hem would ask what drive you are using, etc. personally, i just put hem and postgres on my e drive, but from what i can remember from pt3, its a bit of a biatch to change once you are set up

5) suggest the auslogic defragger. MAKE SURE YOU TELL PEOPLE HOW TO STOP POSTGRES FROM WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ideally, why not display this while importing?

After all, if someone is having crappy import speeds, they will see all of these suggestions, before posting.

My problem was that a manual vacuum wouldnt work, all was working well, so i didnt have to do anything.

Turned out i got a massive increase in speed after manually vacuuming, defragging (after realising i had to stop postgres) and defragging, and using the stack builder to automatically get postgres to optimise for MY computer setup. Not sure which one was the issue, as i pretty much did them all at the same time

Hope this helps, and if you sticky it to the screen when downloading (plenty of room there!) I am sure it will free up a lot of users time, and yours as well!

Kindest regards
Omaha