PDA

View Full Version : Disk crashed, can't boot, recover postgres DB?

HRPaperstacks
05-06-2011, 10:59 AM
The disk drive on my Windows XP/SP3 PC suffered a hard crash. Most of system32 got trashed, including the registry backups, so I am no longer able to boot. Windows recover and rescue utils both crash to blue screen. I also got behind in doing backups/archives of my HEM database.

Fortunately, most of the data files in other areas seem okay. I can mount the drive as a data drive in a separate PC and copy files out.

My question is, is there any way for me to recover the postgres DB files, transfer them to the other PC, and get my HEM data back? Where are the postgres DB files located normally? What files would I need to grab? Would copying the entire Postgres folder out of Program Files be sufficient? Anything else I need? Once I have the files, what do I do in Postgres on the other PC to load up the DB files?

There is about 10 months worth of hands in the DB that I'd like to save, if possible.

Thanks.

fozzy71
05-06-2011, 07:25 PM
If you play a site like stars/ftp you can email their support and ask for all your old hand histories and tourney histories/results.

Your \HMArchive is likely not in your \Holdem Manager directory. We normally suggest you use C:\HMArchive, but you may have put it anywhere.

To verify the location: Options > Configure Auto Import Folders > Edit > Archive Folder: ___________________

http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/119/Warning:+You+have+XXX+Hand+History+Files+in+your+A uto+Import+Folders

The archive should be organized by \Month\DayOfMonth (example: D:\HMArchive\2009\07\31).

All you need from postgresql to try saving your database is the \data folder and the same version of postgresql to reinstall it to a new pc.

For reinstalling SQL to the same DB, follow these steps:

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
2) If you are moving the DB to a different drive/partition, manually cut or copy the \Postgresql\8.x\data directory to it's new location.
3) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

net user postgres /delete
4) reboot.
5) Install the same version of PostgreSQL as your current DB using these instructions - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database
6) If you have moved/installed your DB to a non-default location, please make sure to change the 'Data Directory' path during the installation.