PDA

View Full Version : How do you use 4bet stats for strategy

LanceFire
02-23-2009, 01:28 PM
I wanted to get some ideas of how people are using the 4bet stats to determine their strategy in hands. I've read the 3bet article in HEM and it's really helped my game. But I wanted to talk about 4betting now and using stats to help mold strategy.

AA and KK sort of play themselves, unless you're getting cute and doing some calling of 3bets with your monsters. My question relates to what to do with QQ/AK, which can get you into a lot of trouble once the 4betting starts. I like 4bet range in that a player with .5% tends to have AA or perhaps sometimes KK when he 4bets. I've noticed that lots of smart TAGs have ranges closer to 1.3% or so, with some looser players much higher. 1.3% seems interesting, because I think what's happening is that they're folding QQ/AK correctly to supertight 3betters so they're QQ+/AK range doesn't come up to 2.6%. In addition, with so much blind stealing going on by standard TAGs, it makes sense that their 4bet range wouldn't be 2.6% even if they always 4bet QQ+/AK because so much trash is getting raised - folded from late position that wouldn't even come close to being worthy of a 4bet.

So I 3bet a guy who also read the 3bet article, he 4bets me and his 4bet range is 1.3%, if we remove position from that equation, isn't any QQ+/AK worthy of being shoved all in over his 4bet? Because don't we both have the same range of hands here, and getting compensated by the dead money?

Also, does fold to 4bet factor into your decision at all here? I see a lot of strangely low numbers that simply don't seem right, like 33%-50%. Even mine is in that range, and I'm notorious for 3betting tons of trash but almost always folding to other players 4bets, to the point where anybody paying attention has +EV simply to shove over my every 3bet with ATC. I would think my fold to 4bet would be closer to 75%. It could be the result of shortstackers/maniacs/good table selection that I'm hardly having to fold to tight players 4bets much. The odd thing is that I want to be the type of player who is 4betting/5betting against people who are raising/3betting a wide range but waiting for KK+ to call for their 100BBs, but it seems my stats don't make sense for that to be +EV.

Anyone else with a big database do some deep thinking about this?