PDA

View Full Version : Want to update Postgresql - help please

BlackPersian
05-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Hey guys,

I have still some importproblems for Pokerstars Summaries + I wanted to try Notecaddy out, but the performance is so slow. I am using Postgresql 8.4 at the moment and saw that 9.0 is out. So I think I want to update it and maybe alls the problems are gone.

I have at the moment 950k hands + in the DB and want to lose exactly none. ;) Whats my line? Can I just search the file with the DB and copy it into the 9.0 folder and bing - working? Or will that be a bigger work?

Thanks!
BlackPersian

netsrak
05-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Don't touch a running postgresql installation if you have no problems with it.

There is no easy upgrade path from 8.4 to 9.x. You need to export all data from 8.4 and create a backup. Uninstall 8.4, install 9.x, restore the backup or import all data.
But i'm pretty sure this will not help for your performance problems.

Where exactly do you have performance problems?

900 K hands in the database is nearly nothing, that should not cause any problems except you are using a very old computer.

BlackPersian
05-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Hey,
I just installed the newest verson x64 and got it running. So I will export and import the hands I want to.

The problems are still like 8970 month ago, as we had contact: I play 50 MTTSNGs /MTTs...I request the Summaries and completely random 10 of them are not importing. Makes absolutely no sense, but lets see. Today everything worked fine with the new DB.

The performance problems were not with HEM directly. I wanted to use Notecaddy (it connects to HEM DB and makes automatically notes on your definitioons and such stuff) and give it in the Trialperiod a try, but I just got 15 hands (10 complete days of letting it run and then change something and you have to do it again for the whole DB....) per second and thats ridicolous, especially because a friend of mine on hier Laptop with similar or lower specs has between 50 and 500 hands / second. I asked the developer on 2+2, but he honestly seem to be a bit...dunno...stupid? I donīt know, which the right word is, but somebody who is crying about black friday and less subscriptions for his program 2 posts ago, but is me telling then: "I dont have something intelligent to say, but just wait for the next version. Its in developement for 6 month now, dont know, when its gonne released"....I just donīt know and the words I would find for it, wont be nice.
Unfortunately Notecaddy seems to be mighty and there is no alternative out there imo. So I have to try and find the mistake myself and if I find, I think I have no other option as throwing my money into his pocket...even if he doesnt deserve it....

Last part is long and not really HEM related, sry. But I am on monstertilt right now and raging about this guy for 2 days now. ;)

sreticentv
05-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Hi black persian. Thank you for trying note caddy. I am glad to see you're enjoying it :)

SuperSized
05-03-2011, 06:54 AM
It's kind of hard to follow your post, but it seems like you may have been running an a version of Windows that hadn't been reinstalled in a while. My installation is about a year old and, while there is nothing wrong with my PC, it randomly accesses the HDD and seems to hang fairly often for a few seconds.

Given slow performance, I think that generally means it's time for a Windows reinstall or, since your DB seems fairly smallish, there is layer of security somewhere slowing down the whole process.

BlackPersian
05-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Hi black persian. Thank you for trying note caddy. I am glad to see you're enjoying it :)

Hi Mr "I dont want new customers" ! :P

New update working well, Speed is fine now. ;) Thanks.

@supersized: Thanks for that answer. But my Windows installation is not half a year old and its pretty "clean". So, thats def a good hint for all computer newbies, but that wasnīt the problem here. ;)