PDA

View Full Version : *****PostgreSQL Wont Start Error Information Request*****

rtgoad
07-31-2008, 09:00 PM
**********see post 4************

i'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in or not, if it isn't someone please point me in the right direction. I just downloaded and installed hem as well as postgresql. When i try to connect on hem i get the message, "a connection to postgresql could not be made." after reading this i checked the faq's looking for troubleshooting questions. I found the answer to this problem which was go to services in administrative tools and make sure postgresql is started. So, when i try to start it i get the message, "the postgresql database server 8.3 service on local computer started and then stoppped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the performance logs and alerts service." if someone could give me some advice that would be great. Thanks so much.

morny
07-31-2008, 09:19 PM
Have you tried:

Then after the computer reboots go to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data and delete the postmaster.pid file then restart holdem manager. If you get the error again repeat the step above to restart the postgres service.

After that its usually to do with a firewall or antivrus problem interferring so maybe try disabling them both to test if thats the problem.

rtgoad
07-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah i tried that. Then I disabled my antivirus program as well as disable my firewall and it still isn't working. I'm using 8.3 not 8.2 btw does that matter?

morny
07-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Ok, im going to sticky this thread and use it to gather information on this problem as it seems only a few people have it so if we can get as much information about it as possible it might help in narrowing down what causes it and how to fix it. So if youve had this problem and fixed it please tell us what you done and also if you currently have this problem then please fill out the following information.

Windows OS:

Firewall:

Antivirus & Anti-Spyware etc:

Version of PostgreSQL:

Any other useful information:

Also please follow these steps to include screenshots of the following:

1) Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Then scroll To PostgreSQL Database Server expand the window until all the information can be seen and take a screenshot.

2) Right Click on PostgreSQL Databse and choose properties and take a picture of the 1st TAB

3) Right Click on PostgreSQL Databse and choose properties and take a picture of the 2nd TAB

4) Right Click on PostgreSQL Databse and choose properties and take a picture of the 3rd TAB

5) Right Click on PostgreSQL Databse and choose properties and take a picture of the 4th TAB

Now a longshot but IIRC someone was having this problem and they ran their antivirus and it fixed the problem, ive also seen this mentioned on the net on one site but not much more info.

If people can follow these instructions and attach their hijackthis.log file and ill see if any viruses are showing up. Follow from step 2 on but please dont copy and paste the text please attach the file otherwise the thread will be huge. You can only add 5 attachments at a time via this forum so youll need to make 2 posts if you attach more than 5 pics/logs

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial94.html

Im going to attach my 5 pics although i dont have the problem to give people examples. Ill sticky this for a while

8.2 and 8.3 work fine but if 8.3 is slightly different just post them screenshots anyway

morny
07-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Ok ive one thing id like people to try that are having the problem.

In the services screen go to postgreSQL database, right click and choose properties and in the log on TAB choose Local System Account instead of the postgres account. The try restarting the service and see if it works

before doing this write down the postgres neame as it appears in that box eg ./postgres

morny
07-31-2008, 11:12 PM
Ok im just going through the net looking for other solutions and heres another to try.

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer:
Click On Application and then go to Action > Clear all events

rtgoad
07-31-2008, 11:17 PM
just tried that as well the 4 things there won't disappear after click clear all events. :/

morny
07-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Ok another solution that worked for someone. in the same log on TAB i mentioned above retype your postgres password in the password boxes and then try and restart the process.

morny
07-31-2008, 11:26 PM
when doing the above RT you need to swithc from log on locally and put back in your /.postgres and then enter your postgres pasword, do you remember the password you used?

What are you using windows or vista and are you logged in as the administrator on that pc?

rtgoad
07-31-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm using xp. I was thinking maybe my pw and username is the problem which i said to you in a pm. I was wondering if you knew how to register/make a new one.

Crazyeyez
07-31-2008, 11:39 PM
In the services screen go to postgreSQL database, right click and choose properties and in the log on TAB choose Local System Account instead of the postgres account. The try restarting the service and see if it works

This worked!!! (I first tried retyping my password in that window, but it still wouldn't launch.)

Is there a need to change it back now?

Also, FYI:

Windows OS: XP

Firewall: Windows

Antivirus & Anti-Spyware etc: Avast and Spybot

Version of PostgreSQL: 8.2

If you would find it useful as reference, I can post screencaps of my various services tabs, and I can post all the steps I tried previously that didn't work. Please just let me know.

Thanks!!!

morny
07-31-2008, 11:40 PM
usually youd get an error relating to your password though but if your not sure of them you can uninstall Postgres via control panel > Add remove programs and reinstall it again and make sure to write down your username and password

rtgoad
07-31-2008, 11:46 PM
when you did that local thing and restart system does that mean reboot computer then try to connect?

morny
07-31-2008, 11:46 PM
This worked!!! (I first tried retyping my password in that window, but it still wouldn't launch.)

Is there a need to change it back now?

Also, FYI:

Windows OS: XP

Firewall: Windows

Antivirus & Anti-Spyware etc: Avast and Spybot

Version of PostgreSQL: 8.2

If you would find it useful as reference, I can post screencaps of my various services tabs, and I can post all the steps I tried previously that didn't work. Please just let me know.

Thanks!!!

So you had the same problem where it wouldnt start and logging on as local system user worked?

I know there was a few more people with these problems ill try and email them to try that solution so. Thanks for the feedback. If it is that i think its something due to /.posgtgres not having full admistrative permissions from what ive read but if you can post screenshots it still might be helpful because ./postgresql works for most people.

morny
07-31-2008, 11:48 PM
No when you change to local service it tells you to stop and start the service, you just right click and stop and then right click and start but since yours isnt started youll just need to right click and start.

Is it prompting to reboot aswell, didnt for me

So it should be change like the attached pic and then right click the service and choose start

rtgoad
07-31-2008, 11:50 PM
yeah i've done that a few times. stuff is starting to get frustrating

morny
07-31-2008, 11:51 PM
Do you have teamviewer i.e www.teamviewer.com, do you want me to have a look?

rtgoad
07-31-2008, 11:52 PM
on another note i def have full admin, built the computer myself. Never had a problem running any program like this before

morny
08-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Yeah but say your logging in as rtgoad and you have your passsword you put in everytime you log on to windows then you would be running the service as /.rtgoad and youd have full admin rights

However from what im reading your logged in as /.postgress not /.rtgoad so in some cases this causes problems. Switching to Local logs you in as /.rtgoad so to speak and gives you full rights.

This is based on what someone else was saying on a forum i tracked down googling so i dont know the science behind it and its also more confusing that it works for some and not for others so possibly a combination of things cause it on some things like firewalls etc not being friendly to /.postgres

Anyway if youd like me to take a look via teamviewer install it and send me your number and id as ill be heading very soon

Crazyeyez
08-01-2008, 12:19 AM
So you had the same problem where it wouldnt start and logging on as local system user worked?

Correct.
Can you confirm that it's fine to leave it this way, or do I need to switch it back for any reason?

One thing I'll mention is that my problem first occurred in mid-session. My first three tables were fine w/ HUD, then my fourth table wouldn't show the HUD. At some point I then clicked on the Cash Games tab, and it said I couldn't connect to postgresql. I tried restarting HM, couldn't connect, tried all the suggestions in the FAQ, etc etc..

FYI these are my posts on 2+2:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=5377367&postcount=8157

morny
08-01-2008, 12:29 PM
RTgoad had the same settings unfortunately it didnt work for him even with hes firewall disabled and antivirus removed so its a bit puzzling.

rtgoad
08-01-2008, 06:50 PM
any new ideas?

morny
08-01-2008, 07:02 PM
To be honest im stumped. Theres nothing we didnt try last night and ive searched the net high and low and theres so little information about this problem which suggests not very many people have this problem.

If i had one last suggestion and its a bit extreme id say to do the windows repair in case its a corrupt system file or something this way you dont lose your installed programs or personal data

If you want to try it have a look here: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

rtgoad
08-05-2008, 08:26 PM
this sucks, any new update? I had my buddy who is a software engineer take a look and he noticed looking somewhere, i dont' know how to access, that there was actualy another logon name for administrator. The name couldn't be deleted or logged on however he only had a few minutes to check it out. He said if i could figure out how to log on to that or change the settings should be able to get it to work. If anyone has thoughts on that.

robcheshire
08-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi,

I installed postgres 8.3 and HEM yesterday morning on a brand new Lenovo T61 running XP.

It all worked fine. I then imported 75k hands from PT2 without a problem. Yesterday evening I then played about 300 hands on FT whilst getting used to the HUD etc, again without a problem.

Now today, HEM fails to connect to postgres. When I attempt to start postgres by right-clicking the postgres entry in the Services table, I get error 1069 : The service did not start due to a login failure.

(During the install I left the login name as postgres and the password as postgrespass as recommended, and anyway, it all started fine when I used it yesterday evening!)

I have attached screenshots from the Services tabs as requested.

I am running Symantec antivirus.

Please help!

robcheshire
08-10-2008, 02:07 PM
I decided to reinstall from scratch.

Again postgres and HEM installed fine, and worked for about 24 hours, including through several reboots and poker sessions.

However, again I am now back to the same error that I described above.

Windows firewall is switched off, and I have tried to disable the Symantec AV, but still I cannot start postgres either manually or via HEM.

Please help!

spark929
08-10-2008, 11:02 PM
During SQL install, it can't connect to the DB. I've tried everything in the forums and FAQ's. Still can't get connected.

Just a moment ago, I hired Fozzy to take a look and see what he could do. He couldn't figure it out. He told me to mention to you that he worked on it and tried but couldn't get connected.

My OS is Vista and Running as Administrator and Firewall is off. UAC is turned off as well.

Here are the links for screenshots of what's happening:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/fozzy71/ScreenShots%20Misc/spark999-sql-connecterror-1.png

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/fozzy71/ScreenShots%20Misc/spark999-sql-connecterror-2.png

robcheshire
08-11-2008, 08:48 AM
I am still waiting for some support here guys!

morny
08-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Sorry lads, was away this weekend due to a family emergency. Have you guys tried the suggestions on the 1st page of the thread in post 5,6 and 8 particularly the one with Log on locally?

When doing the log on locally after you change it do a reboot. I actually got the same problem on my latop and changing to locally didnt work but when i rebooted it then worked for some reason.

Spark, your errors look a bit different than the usual ones so i might need to have a look at your system as it looks to be a different problem to this one but you can try those solutions just in case.

robcheshire
08-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks Morny!

Going "Local" seems to have fixed me up.

I will let you know if I run into any more problems.

ynot
10-15-2008, 09:48 PM
morny helped me tons with another problem earlier today, and FINALLY everything was working properly....but now I'm getting the error described in this thread.

Going local etc doesnt help. I've tried to log into the database through pgAdminIII but I get this message:

"Server doesn't listen
The server doesn't accept connections: the connection library reports
could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
If you encounter this message, please check if the server you're trying to contact is actually running PostgreSQL on the given port. Test if you have network connectivity from your client to the server host using ping or equivalent tools. Is your network / VPN / SSH tunnel / firewall configured correctly? "

I have turned off windows defender, firewall etc. Uninstalled my Avast antivirus.

The next thing I wanted to do was to just reinstall postgresql, but I want to backup my databases first.

Is there any way of doing this without logging into the database with pgAdminIII? Can I just copy the data folders in my postgresfolder?

Or have you found another solution to this problem?

morny
10-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Just uninstall PostgreSQL and note the version i.e 8.2 or 8.3, then install the same version but when you get to the installation screen where it asks for the username and password the 2nd time untick "Initialiase Database Cluster" and finish the installation.

When you uninstall PostgreSQL it dosent delete the Data folder which holds your database info so when you untick that above it tells it to reuse that database info.

ynot
10-16-2008, 01:15 PM
reinstall didnt work either. Feel like I've tried everything except reinstalling vista now.

ynot
10-16-2008, 08:19 PM
latest update:

I've been trying "everything".

What I have found. If I uninstall postgresql, delete all leftover folders (data folder) and then do a fresh install of postgresql it works. The postgresql service starts and stops without any problems.

If I now uninstall postgresql, copy the content of my old data folder into the new one, reinstall with the database cluster button unticked, I end up with the same old problem.

Is there any way of salvaging the content of my old database folders without placing it in the DATA folder and unchecking the database cluster button?

ynot
10-16-2008, 08:27 PM
funny stuff.....I went to the DATA folder properties.

-Security
gave the user postgres Full control

and now it works. It looks like I'm missing some hands, but at least I am in again.

kanistercz
04-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi Morny & guys.

I was OK for maybe 2 years, but now I can`t connect to the "127.0.0.1" .. I didn`t change anything, it was working properly without any problems.

I tried to all the stuff like switch it on "local", I`ve been trying to retype files too (from sticky forum) but without any succes ...

I am running Win7.

Any ideas please?

netsrak
04-08-2010, 04:23 AM
Did you reboot your computer?
Did you check our FAQ:?FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can%27t+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQ L+)

Any 3rd party firewall installed?

If you can't figure it out please schedule a remote support session with our support. Email support@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so we can setup a Teamviewer (http://www.holdemmanager.net/teamviewer) session.

kanistercz
04-08-2010, 06:01 AM
Hi.

Yes, I`ve tried everything ... I was too frustrated that I reinstalled it and now I`m importing hands again :(

But, thank you for answer ...

Viktor

fozzy71
04-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Did you perform regular maintenance to your DB or none at all?

1 - Close HM and Open PGAdmin

2 - connect to postgresql server and then to the DB. Password is postgrespass in case you ever need it.

3 - Right-Click > Maintenance on the DB.

4 - Vacuum, Full, Analyze > OK

Wait for it to finish and change the greyed out OK button to a Done button.

Do that ever 10 -30k hands.

Every 50 - 100k hands, after finishing the steps above:

A - Right-Click > Maintenance on the DB.

B - Reindex > OK

Wait for it to finish and change the greyed out OK button to a Done button.

Next we need to Stop the PostgreSQL service so the Defragmenter can Defrag the Database.

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8,4 > Stop Server

Open Smart Defrag > Select both drive letter checkboxes > Analyze

Pick suggested Defrag process > Start Defrag

After Smart Defrag finishes you should restart your computer.

If you need to use HM before you restart your PC, then you need to Start Server.

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8,4 > Start Server

Nenrode
06-19-2010, 10:00 PM
can someone from HM support have a teamviewer session with me because i tried everything you told us/me to do and I still can't get my POSTGRES to work. My email is: nenrode@hotmail.co.uk

netsrak
06-20-2010, 06:27 AM
I answered in your other thread. Please check our FAQ and give us more informations.

Greco
06-28-2010, 09:18 AM
I've tried everything here too. I will send an email to try and arrange a Teamviwer session.

Cheers guys

Nenrode
06-29-2010, 02:33 AM
thats not the problem because i reinstalled my windows 7 wich is the same 1 i had before when HEM was working and it just doesnt work, I cant even install HEM again something goes wrong with postgres, and i even tried it in diffrent versions because someone from HEM support emailed me with a few tips but it still didnt work.

netsrak
06-29-2010, 03:23 AM
Please answer to the support mail and if nothing else helps we will arrange a teamviewer session.

improvedfelipe
09-07-2010, 03:30 AM
HI, i am having issues and I cant get it to work, it installs until the last second and then it tells me that it cant install the POSTGRE SQL . I disabled my wireless card and I am using the cord to connect thru the internet and it is still not working, anything else i can do? i ve prob spent like 9 hours working onthis and CANT get it to work, it is driving me CRAZYYYY.

Do you mind Teamviwering with me to get it to work? ANYONEEEEE PLEASE !!!

Patvs
09-07-2010, 04:36 AM
The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services. Starting it once should insure it works in the future also.

click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box should appear. Type 'net user postgres /del' (without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can (re)install PostgreSQL.

manually download and install SQL 8.4.4 from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)
If that installer fails, email support@holdemmanager.com

chuckk
08-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Ok ive one thing id like people to try that are having the problem.

before doing this write down the postgres neame as it appears in that box eg ./postgres

I was getting error 1069 everytime I tried to start PSQL. I switched to Local System Account and HEM started fine for me. Is this a permeanent fix...or should I try and get it working using ./postgres account?

Patvs
08-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Did you turn secondary logon back on?

Switching to Local System Account is a permanent fix. Just use that in the services screen -->PostgreSQL---->properties.