PDA

View Full Version : External Database Hosting

ash0803
02-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Has anyone used or thought about using an external paid-for and supported postgresql host? So you would get more peace of mind for backups, disk space, less local cpu processing etc...

I can't imagine importing hands would require a large bandwidth but what about when you get stats/reports/graphs for lots of hands? Is there a lot of data sent back and forth?

If anyone can point me to a free hosted database trial I am willing to give it a try and report back and see what happens..

PCP Poker
02-16-2009, 08:22 PM
I have really thought about doing this as well. Right now I have my db on a network hd so that I can access it from any pc on my network, with a vpn setup so I can access it from my laptop when away from home. However, i think the external hosting would be an even better option. I'll check it out over the next few days and let you know what I find. Please do the same.

ash0803
02-17-2009, 01:12 AM
I have really thought about doing this as well. Right now I have my db on a network hd so that I can access it from any pc on my network, with a vpn setup so I can access it from my laptop when away from home. However, i think the external hosting would be an even better option. I'll check it out over the next few days and let you know what I find. Please do the same.

I am emailing different companies to find a decent deal and hopefully get to test out a setup. I am just worried about the bandwidth and whether the cpu cycles released will be worth the delay in queries being sent over the net.

Will update with findings