PDA

View Full Version : Transparency screws up fonts

EnjoyLife
02-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Vista 64
Dual monitors on a day-old computer.
Fonts worked fine with transparent background on old computer with XP on the 5 year old computer. But on this one it's pretty much illegible.

Aero is turned off. Both monitors are hooked up via DVI. The computer is a Dell SXPS-122B
I7-920 if that matters.

Running the beta release 7.

Let me know what else you need from me. Thanks.

EnjoyLife
02-14-2009, 06:10 PM
I just checked the driver, just in case. The best driver software for your device is already installed.

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

EnjoyLife
02-14-2009, 09:59 PM
On a black background the fonts look fine. Any ideas on the transparency?

Al1
02-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Have you updated your graphic drivers?
Can you turn off the graphic acceleration.

EnjoyLife
02-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Have you updated your graphic drivers?

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
The best driver software for your device is already installed.
Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.

Can you turn off the graphic acceleration.

Any idea how to do that in ATI Catalyst?

Al1
02-15-2009, 02:22 PM
XP french here, thus I m not sure about the translation.

Control Panel, Display, go where you can change the resolution, click the Advanced button.

EnjoyLife
02-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Because I am running ATI Catalyst for the graphics card, when I go to the place to turn off graphic acceleration in Vista it says, "Your current display driver does not allow changes to be made to hardware acceleration settings."

Any idea how to change the settings that you would like me to try in ATI Catalyst? There are many options there.

morny
02-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Im not sure, possibly something is using it at the time, try rebooting and doing this before starting any programs

TripQuads
02-16-2009, 04:16 AM
I am having the same issue with beta 7. Vista 64 as well.

EnjoyLife
02-16-2009, 09:31 AM
I am having the same issue with beta 7. Vista 64 as well.

I did try it right after a reboot with the same screen saying I can't disable there...

morny
02-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Mike was experimenting with a drop shadow that may have caused this, it should be fixed in Beta 8

Mike chops
02-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Are you guys using 32 bit color?

TripQuads
02-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Yes, I am using 32bit colour.

EnjoyLife
02-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Are you guys using 32 bit color?

Yes. Let me know if you need any more info or if you need me to run a log of sorts

EnjoyLife
02-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Just installed beta 9 and the problem is still there.

EnjoyLife
02-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Here is a picture.

http://www.huelsmans.com/images/blog/screwyfonts.jpg

TripQuads
02-19-2009, 06:53 PM
I also still have the same problem, and it looks just like the screenshot. I'm on fulltilt though. If I have the stats on a black background they appear normally.

EnjoyLife
02-19-2009, 07:08 PM
According to Experts Exchange...

Vista decided to keep failsafe settings in order to keep your entire system display you cannot alter the hardware acceleration as there is none .
Windows Vista is the first OS from Microsoft that "scales" to the hardware capabilities of your computer.

Does this help at all? Any suggestions? Please give me any answer... Was the drop shadow that was mentioned removed in beta .08? If not, is that still a possibility?

morny
02-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Escalated to Mike, hell respond here asap

proshares
03-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Just upgraded to 1.07 and hud text on transparent background is fuzzy on mine as well. I am on Windows Vista.

morny
03-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Try this: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Hm1.08Beta.exe

proshares
03-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Try this: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Hm1.08Beta.exe

I have upgraded to the 1.08Beta version and I am still having the same issue with the text on the screen if I use a transparent background.

Attached is a sample photo from Pokerstars and Full Tilt.

Were you able to replicate this issue on Windows Vista?

morny
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Escalated to Mike, hell respond here asap

Mike chops
03-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I got feedback from enjoyLife on this. Can you try turning the clear-type settings on/off? There's a link to do it here.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearType/tuner/Step1.aspx

proshares
03-02-2009, 09:04 PM
I got feedback from enjoyLife on this. Can you try turning the clear-type settings on/off? There's a link to do it here.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearType/tuner/Step1.aspx

I am on Windows Vista, not XP. I think I found the issue: I am using the Windows Standard color scheme in 'Appearance Settings'. When I switch to Windows Aero, it corrects the text issue. However, I need to keep my desktop on Windows Standard for other applications.

It's not too big an issue, I'll just use a background color other than transparent.

Thanks for your help.

EnjoyLife
03-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Well, that would be an interesting thought. I tried to turn on Vista Aero, but when Pokerstars launches, Vista switches out of Aero stating that PokerStars is set to not run in Aero.

I run AHK scripts and to set them up I had to turn off Aero. I'm not sure what all settings I changed to get AHK running, but I followed the steps of some website to get the BetPot script working.

Any ideas on what I can try and I'll do it.

proshares
03-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Well, that would be an interesting thought. I tried to turn on Vista Aero, but when Pokerstars launches, Vista switches out of Aero stating that PokerStars is set to not run in Aero.

I run AHK scripts and to set them up I had to turn off Aero. I'm not sure what all settings I changed to get AHK running, but I followed the steps of some website to get the BetPot script working.

Any ideas on what I can try and I'll do it.

The setting that turns off Aero is 'Disable Desktop Composition' which you can toggle when you right click on PokerStars.exe and go to the Compatibility tab.
I needed to turn off Aero as well in order to get AHK scripts working on Pokerstars.

I have noticed that if you reduce the opacity down to the 3rd lowest setting, the text is fine. However the opacity is low but it is still visible.

EnjoyLife
03-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Turning off Cleartype fixed the issue. Is this just a work-around, or will this be addressed in the future with Hold'em Manager? Thanks.

Mike chops
03-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Try the different settings within the program for the cleartype. The font anti-alliusing works by messing with the color settings depending upon the arrangement of your RGB pixels in the monitor. You should be able to find an arrangement that is color neutral?

Also can you tell me what happened with the test version I sent you? Did you try switching on/off the lock panels flag?