PDA

View Full Version : Failed to connect to postgresql...

yummybuffet
02-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi,

All of a sudden I can't start HM because it can't establish a connection to "127.0.0.1." HM worked just yesterday, and the only thing I can remember changing is uninstalling some HP and Lexmark printer programs.

I followed instructions in FAQ #34 and #171 (uninstalling then reinstalling postggresql, disabling antivirus and firewall, etc)...at least the instructions relating to Win XP (i DON'T have vista)...but still get this error.

When I open the services window from control panel -> Admin tools, it says that postgresql is "starting" but then that status changes to nothing. if I right click to choose "start" then it takes a while and tells me the service started then stopped.

What should I do?

Thanks,
Ben

morny
02-10-2009, 03:24 PM
You need to uninstall the antivirus not disable it

Can you please go to control panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer and look at the applications, there should be an error for PostgreSQL can you copy and paste the details of that error please

yummybuffet
02-11-2009, 03:33 AM
I tried uninstalling norton but still it won't start. here is the error message:

2009-02-11 00:30:03 MST FATAL: could not open directory "pg_tblspc": No such file or directory

Al1
02-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Can you stop the service. Reboot your computer. And restart the service.

yummybuffet
02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
when I go to the service, it's already stopped. if i click start, then it starts then stops again. so i'm not sure what you mean, since i can't stop it, it's already stopped.

Al1
02-11-2009, 02:17 PM
when I go to the service, it's already stopped. if i click start, then it starts then stops again. so i'm not sure what you mean, since i can't stop it, it's already stopped.

Ok, have you your original HHs files?

If not, make a copy of you postgreSQL folder in a safe location.

After that, can you uninstall postgreSQL from the Control Panel. Reboot your computer. Then go to Program Files (or the equivalent for Vista) and manually delete the postgreSQL folder.

Reboot your computer.

Reinstall postgreSQL, another version: http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/

morny
02-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Ok that error shows theres a problem with the database and unfortunately it wont start, youll need to uninstall PostgreSQL then go to C:\Program Files and delete the PostgreSQL folder, then install PostgreSQL again http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=176

Then when you start HM, create a new database and if you have the originals or archived your HH then import these into the new database as the old database in unrecoverable

yummybuffet
02-13-2009, 02:09 AM
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggg! following your instructions it worked (ty!)...for a day. now it can't connect again.

the new error is: could not write to log file: Bad file descriptor

this happened immediately following a power surge that turned off my computer in the middle of HM importing...can this be the cause? or is it my antivirus program (norton 2009)? do i need to uninstall/reinstall postgresql again?

yummybuffet
02-13-2009, 02:49 AM
i uninstalled/reinstalled postgresql again which seems to be temporarily fixing it.

is it going to keep crashing like this on me? how can i get it to stop doing that?

Al1
02-13-2009, 10:50 AM
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggg! following your instructions it worked (ty!)...for a day. now it can't connect again.

the new error is: could not write to log file: Bad file descriptor

this happened immediately following a power surge that turned off my computer in the middle of HM importing...can this be the cause? or is it my antivirus program (norton 2009)? do i need to uninstall/reinstall postgresql again?

i uninstalled/reinstalled postgresql again which seems to be temporarily fixing it.

is it going to keep crashing like this on me? how can i get it to stop doing that?

Norton causes a lot of issues. I strongly recommend that you use this anto-viruses: www.avast.com, it's free and works perfectly with HM.

The crash of your computer can cause issue like that.