PDA

View Full Version : Cannot reinstall postgresQL

Ellegance
04-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Hi,

I suddenly had this problem - PostgreSQL 8.4 cannot start error 127.0.0.1 and tried to see if i can fix it through this link: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/8182-fix-postgresql-cannot-start-error-127-0-0-1-a.html but the info i should've entered was already there so obviously that wasn't the problem.

So i decided to uninstall both hem & postgresQL and install the version 1.11.06d from the site.

After starting the installation, it doesn't give me the option for a combo install as it says that i've already installed postgresQL on my pc but i can't find any files of it. Tried to reboot and nothing changed. Tried to install HEM without postgresQL and it shows again the PostgreSQL 8.4 cannot start error 127.0.0.1.

Everything seems pretty straghtforward about the installation & setups but this silly problem seems to be stopping me from being able to use my hem...

Suggestions?

I appreciate every comment and sincerely thank you for your assistance.

netsrak
04-19-2011, 03:51 AM
Solutions:
1. Reboot your computer
2. If that doesn't help look for the hidden system file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder, delete it and reboot your computer again.
3. Check the postgresql service in the windows services (control panel->administration). Sometimes it helps to change the Logon As.. to "local system account"
4. Check our FAQ:
http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can%27t+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQ L+

Ellegance
04-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Solutions:
1. Reboot your computer
2. If that doesn't help look for the hidden system file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder, delete it and reboot your computer again.
3. Check the postgresql service in the windows services (control panel->administration). Sometimes it helps to change the Logon As.. to "local system account"
4. Check our FAQ:
http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/91/Can%27t+Connect+%7B47%7D+Failed+to+Start+PostgreSQ L+

First of all thank you for the respond.

1.Tried and didn't work
2.I cannot find the hidden file because I don't have postgresql data folder although it says that postgresql is already installed when i try to install the combo
3.Did it but still nothing changes
4. Once I go to this step i can't do anything mainly because there is no postgresql in my start programs menu:

Restart PostgreSQL service & Reboot

Go to Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service (If its already started)
Then go to Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

Basically the main thing is that on the combo installer it says i've already installed postgresql but i actually don't have it in the database except in services so if i can in some way manage to achieve the outcome of hem installer not saying that i've already installed the postgresql , the installation will go smoothly and without a problem.

Sarek
04-20-2011, 05:20 AM
If you have Win7 (or Vista), consider the following:
1) PC name must be in English and "in one word" - requires reboot after changing.
2) The same for Windows user name. If not - create new Win user with EN name and reboot PC for this user when install Postgres. And he must have admin rights. After installation you can kill this new user - his mission is completed.
3) Secondary logon service must be set to "Autostart"\
4) UAC = OFF
5) Disable firewall and antivirus when installing Postgres and HM. Or uninstall them at all.
6) All installations must run "as admin" (by right-click on file). And do them as first thing after PC reboot.
7) If you want to change install path for Postgres (or to set non-default folder for database cluster) - download "standalone" installation file from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org).
8) If your Windows is not in English - you have to install Postgres not in default folder in Program_Files. Create new (example: c:\postgresql) first and select it when install.
9) Install Postgres and HM separarelly, one after one. As admin. If HM (when runs for the 1st time) says "no database" - simply create it via DBControlpanel.
10) If Postgres install fails - after uninstalling don't forget to kill windows user named "postgres":
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
In the window that appears please type the following and press enter:
net user postgres /delete
exactly as shown. You should get a confirmation if it was successful.
11) Run all pokerclients "as admin" too.

Ellegance
04-20-2011, 11:50 PM
If you have Win7 (or Vista), consider the following:
1) PC name must be in English and "in one word" - requires reboot after changing.
2) The same for Windows user name. If not - create new Win user with EN name and reboot PC for this user when install Postgres. And he must have admin rights. After installation you can kill this new user - his mission is completed.
3) Secondary logon service must be set to "Autostart"\
4) UAC = OFF
5) Disable firewall and antivirus when installing Postgres and HM. Or uninstall them at all.
6) All installations must run "as admin" (by right-click on file). And do them as first thing after PC reboot.
7) If you want to change install path for Postgres (or to set non-default folder for database cluster) - download "standalone" installation file from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org).
8) If your Windows is not in English - you have to install Postgres not in default folder in Program_Files. Create new (example: c:\postgresql) first and select it when install.
9) Install Postgres and HM separarelly, one after one. As admin. If HM (when runs for the 1st time) says "no database" - simply create it via DBControlpanel.
10) If Postgres install fails - after uninstalling don't forget to kill windows user named "postgres":
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
In the window that appears please type the following and press enter:
net user postgres /delete
exactly as shown. You should get a confirmation if it was successful.
11) Run all pokerclients "as admin" too.

Thanks again for the support.

1,2,3. My pc name and windows(7) are in english, also autostart was always on.
4. It's always been off.
5. Disabled them and then was actually able to perform 10. and still when i run the installation files as administrator the Combo installer still shows "postgresql 8.4 (already installed)" and the postgresql 8.4 installation file still says that i already have such a service.
6. Yes.
7. I didn't know what you meant by "standalone" so i just downloaded the postgresql 8.4 for my 32bit win7 and still as i said, shows that i already have the service.
8. It's english.
9. I don't have problems with HEM , as long as I'm capable of successfully uninstalling(or at least not having shown that there is) postgresql , i'm sure there will be no problems in dealing with the installation of both programs.
10. Like I said I killed it successfully after disabling firewall & antivirus and rebooting but it still says that i have postgresql when installing.

netsrak
04-21-2011, 04:03 AM
Please try to uninstall Postgresql using Revo Uninstaller: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/126/Using+Revo+Uninstaller+

There seem to be some parts of your old installation. If that fails it may help to search and delete postgres entries in the registry.

Ellegance
04-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Please try to uninstall Postgresql using Revo Uninstaller: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/126/Using+Revo+Uninstaller+

There seem to be some parts of your old installation. If that fails it may help to search and delete postgres entries in the registry.

Okay so, at first, when i try to install postgresql(firewall off,avira off,runned as admin) it says "a service (postgresql-8.4) already exists. Plese specify another name".

Everything what I find as postgres are these folders in C:/Users/ :

postgres
postgres.User-PC
postgres.User-PC.000
postgres.User-PC.001
postgres.User-PC.002
postgres.User-PC.003
postgres.User-PC.004
postgres.User-PC.005

They can't be deleted manually or through Revo Uninstaller.

How can I remove the postgresql-8.4 service?

Thank you.

netsrak
04-22-2011, 05:56 AM
It should be possible via the registry but if you are unsure how to do it Please schedule a remote support session with our support. Email support@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so we can setup a Teamviewer (http://www.holdemmanager.net/teamviewer) session.

Ellegance
04-23-2011, 04:04 AM
Well thank you again, I will do that and sorry if I've wasted your time with my problems. :)