PDA

View Full Version : HM failing to connect to PostgresQL; Also cannot access via PGADMIN?

cokedrinker
02-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Hello,

When i woke up today, a couple of weird things were happening on my laptop. First of all i could not connect to the internet via ethernet cable (I am now on a completely different 3g connection). Next up, HM would not start.

while trying to open HM:

'the following error occurred when trying to open the database: Failed to establish a connection to '127.0.0.1'

then i get: DB Control Panel
Holdem Manager has determined that you are using Microsoft Vista. In order to have Holdem Manager run well you should disable UAC in your control panel. This is needed in order to properly install Postgres.
I have had this off for months now, and it is still OFF

Then Database Control Panel window pops up w/ Server Name 127.0.0.1 Port Number 5432 Login Name; postgres Password" postgrespass.

When i click on 'connect' i get popup:

A connection to Postgresql could not be made. Would you like to have Holdem Manager attempt to start the service? Nothing happens...

When I try to connect to database via PGADMIN 3 I get 'SERVER DOESN'T LISTEN' message:

'Server doesn't listen

The server doesn't accept connections: the connection library reports
could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
If you encounter this message, please check if the server you're trying to contact is actually running PostgreSQL on the given port. Test if you have network connectivity from your client to the server host using ping or equivalent tools. Is your network / VPN / SSH tunnel / firewall configured correctly?
For security reasons, PostgreSQL does not listen on all available IP addresses on the server machine initially. In order to access the server over the network, you need to enable listening on the address first.
For PostgreSQL servers starting with version 8.0, this is controlled using the "listen_addresses" parameter in the postgresql.conf file. Here, you can enter a list of IP addresses the server should listen on, or simply use '*' to listen on all available IP addresses. For earlier servers (Version 7.3 or 7.4), you'll need to set the "tcpip_socket" parameter to 'true'.
You can use the postgresql.conf editor that is built into pgAdmin III to edit the postgresql.conf configuration file. After changing this file, you need to restart the server process to make the setting effective.
If you double-checked your configuration but still get this error message, it's still unlikely that you encounter a fatal PostgreSQL misbehaviour. You probably have some low level network connectivity problems (e.g. firewall configuration). Please check this thoroughly before reporting a bug to the PostgreSQL community.

I am no techie at all, but i am feeling that my internet and postresql problem are related. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my network drivers etc but the problem remains. My laptop is a 2 month old Macbook Pro, onto which I have loaded Vista x64 via bootcamp, w/ all bootcamp drivers. What has gone wrong? I am really hoping this is not a hardware issue :/

Help would be very much appreciated

cokedrinker
02-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Another thing - when i opened device manager / network adaptors, I noticed something which i do not believe was there before. I've highlighted in red in this image, ISATAP - and it has that yellow warning sign beside it :/

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/trak81/devicemanager.jpg

Any help would be really really appreciated guys,

Cheers

cokedrinker
02-08-2009, 04:50 PM
ISSUE SOLVED!!!!

So i went thru this http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=171

I only did step 1 -

I could not even start the postgres service from administrative tools > services. I unchecked everything from msconfig>startup, and deleted postmaster.pid file from postgres folder.

Now both my HM and internet (via) ethernet are working.

EDIT: I checked everything again in msconfig>startup and everything still works, so this whole problem was down to postmaster.pid file? And it affected my network adaptor?

morny
02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
That shouldnt effect anything to do with the Net, most likely coincidental