PDA

View Full Version : HEM startup problems

ThePassivePony
02-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi, my HEM has been working for about 2 months, until yesterday were i at first get an error message saying that PostgreSQL can't connect to the ip adress. I solved this problem following the FAQ (uninstalling PostgreSQL/Antivirus/Firewall and reinstalling it all again afterwards).

But that only got me a little further as now im having a problem with HEM asking me to turn of UAC (i have Vista). The problem is that UAC is already turned of. When i click "ok" to this message, i come to the PostgreSQL connection, but it just says that a connection to PostgreSQL cannot be made.

Any idea what might be causing this problem?

morny
02-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Please follow this FAQ: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=34

ThePassivePony
02-09-2009, 08:29 AM
All 3 exe files are already ran as admins, and UAC was turned of. Also i had no Postmaster.pid file.

What i did find out is that it's a problem with PostgreSQL as i can't start the service, but i have already tried disabling all antivirus/firewalls and reinstalling PostgreSQL (as well as adding the exe files to the windows defenders exeption list).

EDIT: Btw. I have no other programs using Postgre

EDIT EDIT: Btw. I have HEM working on my laptop (where i also used it for approx. 2 months) and I use exactly the same antivirusprogram/firewall and they have the exact same updates, so i realy can't figure out the problem.

I found out one small thing though, windows auto update i trying to install a security update for SQL, but can't get it done (im pretty sure it's for the inbuilt microsoft version og SQL though), I also tried downloading it from microsoft's homepage and installing it, but still no succes. Could this has anything to do with the problem?

morny
02-09-2009, 04:18 PM
The thing is you need to follow the FAQ exactly, if you just disable something instead of completely uninstalling it then it wont work, youll need to redo it from the start and dont skip any steps

ThePassivePony
02-10-2009, 09:15 AM
I was pretty sure i already did it right the first time, but i just tried again to be sure, and i followed the exact steps in the FAQ, but it's still nok working

Do you have any other sugestions?

morny
02-10-2009, 03:50 PM
What antiviruses or Firewalls are installed currently, can you please name them all

ThePassivePony
02-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Besides the inbuild windows firewall + windows defender i only have AVG 8.0 free installed

morny
02-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Taken from the FAQ

This is extremely important, these updates seem to intermittingly or permanantly block PostgreSQL and even disaabling them almost always isnt enough, they still seem to work in the background causing problems. Now some programs cant be uninstalled like the built in Windows Firewall or Windows Defender and in such case regardless of whether you have them disabled or not follow the next step. Windows Firewall and Defender are the only 2 softwares that cant be ununstalled, if you still have any other kind of Firewall, Antivirus or Spyware still installed then your probably wasting your time doing the rest of the steps because it probably wont work as one of them is causing the problem. After you remove them reboot and move to the next step.

ThePassivePony
02-10-2009, 06:04 PM
I know, but i already tried removing AVG (as sugested in the FAQ) and then uninstalling PostgreSQL, rebooting and then installing it again, and even with AVG uninstalled i can't get Postgre working

morny
02-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Email me when youve everything uninstalled, PostgreSQL, AVG HM etc then ill run through it with you morny@holdemmanager.net although ill just be repeating those steps already in the FAQ