PDA

View Full Version : Just bought Holdem Manager, cannot get past step 3.

jhsiang1
02-07-2009, 10:32 PM
hi, im trying to follow the steps given on this page: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?topicid=35&faqid=176
but i cannot get past step 3.

1) Download Setup Package from http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/postgresql.zip

2) Unzip the contents of the zip file on to your desktop and then double click on postgresql-8.3.msi to begin the installation.

If you get an error message here saying that the page was corrupt or something similar then you probably didn't unzip the files to your desktop and instead you are trying to install it right from the zip file which will not work

3) Select English and Click Start

ok, now after i try to click start i get this message:

[Window Installer

This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor that this is a valid Windows Installer package.]

am i missing something?? like a specific code?? bc the message seems to suggest that the package doesn't exist or that i cannot access it. what do i do?

jhsiang1
02-08-2009, 11:25 AM
can i get some help please? and do not just give me a link, ive tried all of them from the FAQ. the same window still keeps coming up that:

[Window Installer

This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor that this is a valid Windows Installer package.]

morny
02-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Your getting this message because you didnt unzip the file

jhsiang1
02-08-2009, 11:44 AM
hello morny, thank you. now how do i unzip the file exactly. what i have been doing and please correct me if i am wrong is:

1. downloaded the postgreswql off the link that is provided.

2. when i double click it.. a window opens up, named postgresql.zip - WinRAR (evaluation copy). and actually a smaller window says to "please purchase WinRAR license: please note that WinRAR is not free software. After a 40 day trial period you must either buy a license or remove it from your computer. does that mean i have to buy something additional (this WinRAR) in order to run holdem manager??

3. then i highlight the postgresql-8.3.msi and i click "extract to" button. this is the example of the destination path i save it to (C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\Desktop\postgresql).. is this not unzipping the file??

now i double click the postgresql-8.3.msi and i get to step 3 and the same window comes up.. what am i doing wrong??

morny
02-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Are you opening it from C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\Desktop\postgresql folder ?

Other than that it sounds like your doing it correct

Is this the version you downloaded? http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/postgresql.zip

if so try that one and if you still get it go to the zip file you downloaded and then right click and choose properties and tell me the exact size

jhsiang1
02-08-2009, 12:05 PM
ok, i was not opening it from C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\Desktop\postgresql folder and once i did, i was able to install it correctly. thank you. now, i am going to figure out the next steps in setting this up. hopefully it goes smoothly.. oh btw, i was suppose to uncheck the launch start builder box for the last step right? thanks.

morny
02-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Yes you uncheck that its not needed