PDA

View Full Version : Restoring DB after reformating

RxzzKo
02-06-2009, 04:48 PM
I have re-installed Vista on my computer b/c I was having problems. Before doing so I made a backup of my database using PGadmin III. Once I got the new OS installed I re-installed HEM and registered it successfully. I then tried to use the restore function in PGadmin III with no success.

I found this thread:
http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5906&highlight=restore

I followed all the advice using the copy/paste 'data' folder method and I am unable to connect to the database when I do this. My problem seems almost identical to the person having the problem in that thread except I am trying to restore my DB back to the same computer rather than a new one.

One thing to note is that when I originally installed postgreSQL on my new OS I used the default settings for username and password; however, I modified these to postgres2 and my own password on my other database I was using before I reinstalled Vista.

I did go back and uninstall postgreSQL on the new OS and reinstall it using the same username and password that I had previously but without any success.

morny
02-06-2009, 05:00 PM
This dosent seem to work too often to be honest when you use the copy and paste method, its important to use the exact same version of PostgreSQL

Can you go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application and tell me what the error says for PostgreSQL that corresponds to the time you tried to connect

RxzzKo
02-06-2009, 05:08 PM
When I try to connect
I get a message that says:
'A connection to PostgreSQL could not be made. Would you like Holdem Manager attempt to start the service'

I click 'YES' and get another message that says:
'Holdem Manager has started the service. Please try again.'

I try to connect again and get the same message:
'A connection to PostgreSQL could not be made. Would you like Holdem Manager attempt to start the service'

I keep trying and keep going in circles.

As for the eventviewer log:

Information:
Waiting for server startup...[/I]

[I]Error:
2009-02-05 21:01:17 GMT FATAL: could not create lock file "postmaster.pid": Permission denied

Also, I am not sure if I am using the same version of HEM that I was previously b/c I think there was a newer version available that I never updated to.

morny
02-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Ok the issue is more than likely with permissions, go to the postgreSQL folder and make sure all the users have full permission to write and edit, basically everyone should have full permissions.

So right click > Properties > Security and if your unfamiliar with permissions google Vista user permissions

RxzzKo
02-06-2009, 11:25 PM
I tried taking ownership and granting full control but it kept doing the same thing. Out of frustration I uninstalled postgreSQL and deleted the data folder. Then after reinstalling postgreSQL I deleted the whole '8.3' folder and replaced it with my old '8.3' folder and so far everything seems to be working.