PDA

View Full Version : Trouble manually importing from folders

ads
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
So I have recently had to create a new database after my old hard drive was damaged, but I forunately was able to back up most of my old HHs. Holdem manager seems to have trouble continuously importing such a large number of files. Last night I left it running but it stopped importing and kind of froze (as in, the no. of files processed, hands/second remained the same). When I then tried to import from the same folder again it started but no hands were actually imported, only the "import errors" number was rising. I have realised that it won't import any more hands unless I restart holdem manager by closing and reopening it. I thought maybe because I'd asked it to import so many hands at once (about 9 gb worth, 11k files roughly) it wasn't able to handle so much at once so I tried importing from each subfolder one at a time but experienced the same problem, for example I just tried a folder with 169 files, it got to about 50 of 169 before progress was stopped. Before my hard drive was repaired I was often able to do much larger folders than I am currently attempting so I have no idea what the problem could be. UAC is off and I am running as administrator. Any help is much appreciated

morny
02-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Are you using auto import or import from folders?

Maybe create a new database and try reimporting into that

ads
02-05-2009, 06:53 PM
this is using import from folders. I have had to create a new database twice in the last 24 hours so I was hoping to avoid doing this again now but I will do this as a last resort. The remaining files of the last folder I imported (about 100 files) went through interrupted so it might be ok, just a bit tedious as I don't seem to be able to import the entire folder.

morny
02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
It may appear to freeze if the files are big and you might get not responding but just be patient and let it run overnight or while your at work.

ads
02-05-2009, 07:34 PM
unfortunately it is completely stopping the import, and the "stop import" button is replaced with "start import". The import stated that it was importing the same file for several hours without changing, after which it is impossible to import anything without closing hem and reopening it. I'm going to try moving a folder so that it auto-imports as if I'd just played the hands and see if that makes any difference

morny
02-05-2009, 07:48 PM
dont use the auto import option for large files or it will defo freeze and crash. Can you try uninstalling and antiviruses and firewalls in case they are blocking it and reboot and try again

ads
02-06-2009, 03:20 PM
firewall is off. My new hard drive came with a 60 day trial of norton that I was hoping to hang on to (on my old hard drive I lost my 12 month subscription after installing it). Is it feasible that the presence of anti virus software would allow some folders to import easier than others? The last subfolder I imported via import from folder went through while only crashing once. The one I'm currently importing has done 241/372 files without crashing once. Is it possible that certain files were damaged with my old hard drive and as a result, when the import reaches those files it has trouble continuing in the import? Because that is how it seems at the moment, and when I import from the same folder after it crashes it only does the remaining files that were not imported the first time rather than start from the beginning and display duplicate hands imported.

morny
02-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Personally i wouldnt use Norton if it was free, AVG is a free alternative that dosent cause any problems with HM or PostgreSQL from my experience. Norton does cause alot of issues with alot of programs and the 1st thing i do if im fixing a mates PC is get rid of it.

Anyway thats your choice just giving some advice and it may be nothing to do with Norton however what can happen is some antiviruses try to scan every file that is being processed between postgreSQL and HM, while its doing this it will use alot of processing power and may cause the crash as its trying to scan file after file, unfortunately disabling firewalls dosent actually always disabled them and they continue to work in the background.

ads
02-06-2009, 03:54 PM
ok thanks for your help I will keep it all in mind