PDA

View Full Version : HEM won't start up

bearnet2001
02-04-2009, 09:46 PM
I just installed and it doesn't work. It gets to the "HEM has found folders where your HH might be saved" (first run text pop up) overlayed on the HEM logo as it loads, but when I click 'okay' HEM just disappears. Doesn't load up to its GUI. The process closes too.

I've tried uninstalling/re-installing. Have turned off firewall that can effect program interactions. Tried adding the beta instead, did not work.

Running win xp 64

Al1
02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Have you rebooted your computer?

bearnet2001
02-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Have you rebooted your computer?

Yes. Here's some more info (this problem seems to not be HEM specific):

Just got a new comp, installed XP Pro 64 on it. I have run into an odd problem with three programs now: I click to open the program and it starts up normally, but when it comes to me clicking a button or popup 'okay' within the program (which usually leads to the program starting another process) the program's process just disappears and the program closes.

Example: I try to install BF2. I click 'install' in the setup.exe GUI, it asks for the game CD to be inserted. I do so. Then I click 'okay' on the popup that said to insert the game CD. BF2 install process randomly closes.

Example2: I try to start Virtual CloneCD. It opens fine and asks me how many virtual drives I want. I say 2. I click okay (it should now boot up the program completely). The process just closes and the program disappears.

Example3: Poker database program. I boot it up, it says while opening that its found some folders where my poker hand histories might be found, but that I can search manually if I want. I click okay to that popup. Instead of the program completing its opening, it just closes. Process disappears.

What's going on? Note with at least BF2 and the poker program people have no trouble installing them on XP Pro 64. Probably same for Virtual CloneCD, haven't looked.

I have run a virus scan etc and everything is fine. I'm running all the latest updates from MS / ATI 9.1 catalyst drivers for XP 64.

Help!

Al1
02-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Can you restore your PC to an anterior date using the windows tool.

bearnet2001
02-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Can you restore your PC to an anterior date using the windows tool.

Just tried, restored to right after XP install and same problem.

morny
02-05-2009, 03:13 PM
If you right click C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\DBControlPanel.exe and choose run as and untick run with less priveleges (or something to that effect) however if its a problem with all those programs then its obviously not a HM problem and something wrong with your PC so you might find more help on a PC support forum

bearnet2001
02-05-2009, 03:19 PM
If you right click C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\DBControlPanel.exe and choose run as and untick run with less priveleges (or something to that effect) however if its a problem with all those programs then its obviously not a HM problem and something wrong with your PC so you might find more help on a PC support forum

Hmmm... when I went to the run as the "restricted privileges" was already checked. Should it be like that by default or could that be the problem? Unchecking it didnt seem to help. Is there perhaps some global setting that I have checked somewhere that has all my programs running with restricted access? I have full user access btw, running as admin.

Could you link me to a good PC support forum? I tried microsoft but they charge $59 for e-mail support (srs)

morny
02-05-2009, 03:27 PM
I dont really use them tbh so i dont know which is the best as i usually just google the error but if you type in pc support in google and just look for a forum that has lots of posts and should do the job, its always ticked like that so thats not the problem