PDA

View Full Version : can't get postgre to stop ****ing up

feitr
02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Just reinstalled HEM and now i keep getting this error msg.

uninstalled and reinstalled both post and hem several times and can't remember what i am doing different.

morny
02-04-2009, 03:46 PM
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=34 Follow the FAQ exactly and it will solve the problem

stretch00
02-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Just reinstalled HEM and now i keep getting this error msg.

uninstalled and reinstalled both post and hem several times and can't remember what i am doing different.

Are you Xing out of HM? I get that error only when HM or PSGRE is not closed properly from FILE>exit. Same thing happens w/table manager.

To fix I have to go to exit HM go> PSGRE stop service then re start PSGRE then HM.

feitr
02-04-2009, 09:00 PM
I do close it by Xing it but i've always done so and never had a problem. I can't even get HEM to load in any case.

So i followed the FAQ and nothing helped. UAC has always been off, and the exe files are greyed out under administrator control (only the holdemmanager one actually has a tick in the greyed out box fwiw). I tried to start postgres by control panel, etc, but i get this error msg.

stretch00
02-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I do close it by Xing it but i've always done so and never had a problem. I can't even get HEM to load in any case.

So i followed the FAQ and nothing helped. UAC has always been off, and the exe files are greyed out under administrator control (only the holdemmanager one actually has a tick in the greyed out box fwiw). I tried to start postgres by control panel, etc, but i get this error msg.

Ok. try this; in services make post gres automatic> close out HM from the top left corner FILE/exit. reboot your computer> START/ ALL PROGRAMS> PSGRE stop service > PSGRE again START SERVICE > then try & load HM again.
the first error message you posted I have gotten,the second one I have never seen before. But I still think its because of the way HM & psgre work together,and if psgre is not up and available for HM it shows that first error.
I hope this helps:cool:

feitr
02-04-2009, 09:52 PM
postgres is already set to auto. i've tried starting it up thruogh control panel>admin services and it fails. When i try stopping it and starting it up thruogh all programs it just takes forever and like 30 dots come up then it just shuts down without apparantly actually starting postgre up (mb i'm crazy but i seem to remember it saying something in the command prompt box when it started, rather than just shutting down the window).

really no idea coz i've reinstalled it several times without a problem. thanks for trying to help tho :)

fwiw, the first thumbnail is what i get when i try to open HEM. I then get an error msg saying i should turn off uac (which has been off for ages). The 2nd pic is when i try to manually fire up postgre through HEM (you get the password, username little box, etc), which pops up after i click ok on the uac error msg and the 3rd pic i posted is what i got when trying to fire up postgre through control panel .... admin programs.

stretch00
02-04-2009, 09:58 PM
postgres is already set to auto. i've tried starting it up thruogh control panel>admin services and it fails. When i try stopping it and starting it up thruogh all programs it just takes forever and like 30 dots come up then it just shuts down without apparantly actually starting postgre up (mb i'm crazy but i seem to remember it saying something in the command prompt box when it started, rather than just shutting down the window).

really no idea coz i've reinstalled it several times without a problem. thanks for trying to help tho :)

fwiw, the first thumbnail is what i get when i try to open HEM. I then get an error msg saying i should turn off uac (which has been off for ages). The 2nd pic is when i try to manually fire up postgre through HEM (you get the password, username little box, etc), which pops up after i click ok on the uac error msg and the 3rd pic i posted is what i got when trying to fire up postgre through control panel .... admin programs.

thats how gre starts 1 box then gone! did HM start after that?

feitr
02-04-2009, 10:06 PM
nah, i had been trying that before as well. Is there a way to verify whether or not postgres is running (tho i presume it isnt' or HEM should start)?

stretch00
02-04-2009, 10:18 PM
That I cant tell you I wish I could have helped. did u email support.net

morny
02-05-2009, 04:22 PM
You need to follow all the steps in the FAQ i linked to, if you skip one step it probably wont work

feitr
02-06-2009, 02:41 PM
ok followed it to the letter and it seemed to work (didn't play on any tables so don't know if HUD was working). But then today when i turned my computer on the exact same problem occurred. It was even working after i reinstalled norton etc, but after turning comp off then on boom broken. So what to do? Should i not have turned windows firewall etc back on?

I just don't get it coz it was working perfectly for ages then i uninstalled it and reinstalled it next day and this shit happens.

morny
02-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Do the same again but try it for a couple of days without Norton and use an alternative antivrus like AVG free which ive never seen causing an issue, turning the firewall and defender on after you add exceptions should work fine

The key is to have all the viruses/firewalls etc uninstalled when you reinstall postgreSQL and then you can add them back, since youve already done the exceptions you basically just need to uninstall the antivirus and uninstall and reinstall postgreSQL

Unfortunately until Microsoft make Vista more user friendly or PostgreSQL release a patch to stop Vista blocking it then some people will have this inconvenience. FWIW not everyone has these issues, for some people it works no problem, im one of the unlucky ones like yourself that it does cause problems for