PDA

View Full Version : HM DB restore error

Zouleous
04-10-2011, 04:44 PM
I have tried using the HMbackup.exe utility many times to restore a backup file I created. It seems you have to let HM create a database before you can get in and do anything. Ok no problem so I'll just overwrite the blank database that HM created. Every time I pick the overwrite option it fails and says the database already exists. I do notice that a dialog box comes up asking what I want the new name to be, but if I'm overwriting I feel like I shouldn't get that box. I guess you could allow a rename in the process, but I should be able to use the same name on an overwrite. That's kind of the whole point isn't it?

The only way I was able to do this was launch PGadmin and delete the database then launch the hmbackup.exe utility directly without entering HM. I was then able to create a new database using the name holdemmanager and do a restore of my backup file to it. I feel like I had to jump through a lot of hoops to do what seems like a simple operation and what should probably be the default. Is it just me?

olliepower
04-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Did you follow this FAQ?

http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/418/Backup+%26+Restore

Zouleous
04-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Just watched the video, but he used the option to "create new database" when he did the restore. My issue was with the "overwrite existing database". I did find it interesting he said the overwrite option will still back up the existing database.

Can anyone explain what exactly the overwrite option is supposed to do? By the sounds of it I'm guessing it will backup the existing database and since it's an overwrite it must unregister the database with Holdem Manager somehow? I still don't understand why I can't use the same database name if it's an overwrite, but if you can't it should say that when it prompts you for new database name.

Sarek
04-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Why you are not satisfied with "create new database" option?
Especially if you know how to use Pgadmin...

Zouleous
04-13-2011, 02:25 PM
I am satisfied with create new...did you read my post?

Sarek
04-14-2011, 06:22 AM
I have read it. Just follow instructions in video and faq...