PDA

View Full Version : problems with postgreSQL

randomshadow
01-28-2009, 09:23 PM
I have decided that a poker tracking program would very much increase my online poker profit and hold em manager seems to be the best one out there. I wanted to download the trial version to check it out, but i can't get postgreSQL to work. I have windows vista and have released my user acces control. Then i downloaded trial version. When clicking on the 'install postgreSQL' button, it says i need to download it from the main msi or somethng in that trend. So i downloaded postgreSQL from another link on the website. After unzipping i try to run the postgreSQL.msi and it says that this is not a known windows program and therefore cannot be installed. Anyone know what I need to do to make this work?

thanksb
01-28-2009, 09:59 PM
I can't this to work either I disabled the stuff needed and I can install it but when I click it nothing happens and it just opens again and again help please!

morny
01-29-2009, 03:04 PM
You need to extract it first as its a compressed file, extract it to a folder on your desktop then run it from that folder. If youve any more problems then post the exact error message

thanksb
01-29-2009, 03:36 PM
how do I do that?

morny
01-29-2009, 04:07 PM
You need a zip program to unzip it or in Vista theres a built in one, just look at the window header and you should see and extract option under it somewhere.

thanksb
01-29-2009, 06:03 PM
what default program should I open it with?

morny
01-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Try Winrar

randomshadow
01-30-2009, 09:20 AM
I have used winrar to unzip the file. The first screen that I get is even the same as in the instalation guide. However after i select the language that I want to install PostgreSQL in get a pop up marked as 'windows installer' that says(in dutch so i translated): 'Cannot open the instalation package. Check if the package excists and if you have acces to the packagae, or contact the software supplier to verify that it is a windows installer pakket'. Do i need to use a different instalation program?

morny
01-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Try this version instead http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp/binary/v8.3.6/win32/postgresql-8.3.6-1.zip

randomshadow
01-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Tried the link. The download doesn''t start automatically. When I click on a mirror version it downloads, i run the instalation and I have the same problem I had before.....

morny
01-31-2009, 12:34 PM
It must be an issue with something on your PC as ive tested the file and it works fine. To rule out the browser can you try downloading it with a different browser i.e Internet Explorer, Firefox etc