PDA

View Full Version : migrating my DB to an external drive - some questions

daiquiri
01-27-2009, 02:28 PM
I've decided to put my db to a dedicated external HDD. The goals would be 1. being able to use it from my desktop pc 2. being able to use it from my notebook when I'm away from my desktop 3. maybe better speed because of a dedicated drive
My questions are:
1. if I move the db along with postgre sql to the new hdd (the way it's described in HEM's faq, backing up the db, uninstalling postgre sql, reinstalling it on the new HDD, then restoring the db), will I be able to use it from both my notebook and my desktop pc without further ado after selecting the db from HEM, or do I need to tweak any settings anywhere?
2. is it worth investing into an e-sata capable drive, will it have noticable difference in speed over an USB 2.0 drive while using HEM?

Thanks

morny
01-27-2009, 08:03 PM
1) The only thing youll need to do is stop and start the postgreSQL service when switching from one to the other, the key is using the same PostgreSQL version for all PCs as this sometimes causes a problem
2) It should make a difference but unfortunately i dont know how much of a difference as i havent tested it, maybe someone else here might advise if theyve done something similar

daiquiri
02-03-2009, 07:55 PM
thanks,
How do I stop/restart the postgre sql service?

morny
02-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Its shown how to in this FAQ