PDA

View Full Version : Why must auto-archive be obligatory?

mindtrap
01-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi,

i really wonder why the auto-archiving function of HM was set to be obligatory in 1.07.
I was really running good without HM auto-archiving and doing it on my own from time to time.
Now i get hundreds of small files in the archive folder, which are called as HM wats it, i have problems to import the hands in other software, and most of all it seems to slow down my maching.

This week i purged 1/3 of the hands in my db, did a full vacuum/analyze and defragged the whole hard disc.
Still HM needs 3x as long to popup if i want to check something during playing. Might that also be due to more information in the lower part (handhistories) in the Reports tab?

some explanation would really be appreciated.

And i really wonder why you cut the users possibility to make choices on their own.

Apart from that: keep going.

morny
01-26-2009, 11:23 PM
You can change it in Options > Misc Options > Change Archive Duration but if your computer is lagging from doing a simple cut and paste option once every 15mins then i think theyre may be other issues with your computer. In fact the reason we have it move them quicker is because too many files in the auto import folder can slow your PC down.

mindtrap
01-27-2009, 08:05 AM
well, it might have had some other reasons, cause my system was not slow every 15 minutes but rather all the time .... :confused:

But apart from that i still dont like that i am forced to use auto-archiving instead of moving the files on my own.
It did actually never slow down my system if there were the files of 3-4 sessions still remaining in the orders.

Edit: It seems i found out what makes HM so slow now:
When searching for the "options > misc options > change archive duration" (which is only in the updated hm-update 1.07.01 beta, not in the official 1.07 release.... you should have told me... ) i found "Hands View Column Selection".
The new default stats in there WinnerName/WinnerCards/WinnerWon make make the retrieval of the hands ~10 times slower than before.
Seems like the 1.07.01 beta also includes some tool to show why player-window might get so slow.

btw it would be nice to have possibility to not only show 100, 500 or ALL hands, but also NO HANDS in the report tab!!