PDA

View Full Version : postgres.exe cpu overload!!

StonedShisha
04-05-2011, 03:00 PM
hi

Ive played a long time with HEM and everything worked good.
but just a few days ago, things have started going wild.
If I open my holdemmanager and open some graph or hands or whatever. postgres.exe suddenly comes up in my taskmanager resource monitor, and eats 100% of cpu..
I have recently backup/resotre databse to a new database to make size smaller.
I have made a vacuum/analyze full , and reindex and diskdefrag..

I cant understand why its doing this..

Sarek
04-06-2011, 05:53 AM
Which Windows?
Which antivirus and firewall (if any)?
Which Postgre version?
Do you use latest HM version?

StonedShisha
04-06-2011, 06:08 AM
hey!
Im not sure 100% but it seems like inactivating windows defender made the trick...

Im going to try it for today and get back on the results.

StonedShisha
04-07-2011, 06:34 AM
well.. didnt work then..
I open holdemmanager, I have version 1.11.06c , win vista x64, right now tried it wit turning off windows defender and adding exception to postgres.exe in windows firewall.
postgres version: 8.4

If I open holdemmanager and go to graph, then its all good. but if I go to session and it should start to list hands in the like "last 100" hands list.. it goes crazy and overloads cpu. I look in taskmanager resource monitor, I see application/service postgres.exe taking huuge cpu resources and basically maxxes my cpu and whole computer lag for a minute or so..

this hasnt happen before.. I have made all the vacuum/reindex/defrag (with a good defrag tool)... database is 50gb big but thta cant be the problem cus it has even been bigger in the past..

Sarek
04-07-2011, 06:45 AM
50 GB is not a small DB... so recommendation to create new one would not be liked, but...

StonedShisha
04-07-2011, 07:04 AM
it was 75gb before and worked perfect..
but then I started to clean it up, including purging hands, purging observed hands. backup and restore to a new database..

I just dont know what is the problem here... how can we find out... ?

StonedShisha
04-07-2011, 07:08 AM
I cant even go into holdemmanager now (with autoimport turned off) , hit sessions, and look through some hands.. cpu is standing at 100% and its postgres.exe that has gone wild..

netsrak
04-07-2011, 08:21 AM
You purged hands etc.?
Postgresql has some background daemons running which try to optimize the database.
I think this daemons are just trying to do their work after your huge purging process and you should give them some hours time to complete.

StonedShisha
04-07-2011, 08:28 AM
after each time I purge hands, I go to vacuuum/full in postsql.
I have hard itme seeing that it has some things to do.. i. Its when Im trying to access hands through holdemmanager it goes cpu overload for example. just leaving the computer on and the CPU load will be at like 0%, opening holdemmanager and putting autoimport does no problem either. but open holdemmanager and go to fr example reports, or stats, or whatever that should load data from database and CPU will go to 100% for a few mins

netsrak
04-08-2011, 03:37 AM
Please create a new database for a test, import some hands and try with this database. Is it the same?

How many hands do you have in your database? http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/115/Check+Total+Amount+of+Hands+in+Database+
Please remove the 3 winner card columns from the hands view (under options -> settings -> hands view columns)

StonedShisha
04-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Hi

I got 14.5 million hands in the database! alot of mined hands.
I removed the 3 winner stuff. and it looks really smooth now. Im gonna try this one grinding day and see how this works..

Ill get back about this problem after.

Sarek
04-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Please see at least 1st post here http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/11194-top-10-hem-performance-increase-tips.html

StonedShisha
04-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Im a bit of a computergeek...
Ive gone through that thread and done basically every step.
I have a good machine as well...

this issue has still not resolved...

Sarek
04-10-2011, 04:30 AM
Suggestion: create new database, but don't import mining in it. And see what happens. If all thing will be good - make backup for this DB and begin to add mining "step by step" with backups after each.
If something goes wrong, you can restore last backup...