PDA

View Full Version : Postgres password prolem

hastijoe
04-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Windows Vista . Tried to upgrade to Postgres v8.4 from v8.3. Installation requires a password. I have tried postgrespass and dbpass and get an error message telling me to "...use the correct password for the windows user account." Postgres was originally installed with Poker Tracker. "Postgrespass" is displayed in the password box when I click on Options>Database Management in HEM, and I am able to connect to the database using that password. Any ideas? I read the article about password problems and the suggestion about changing the pg_hba file to "trust." I found a "pg_config file (no pg_hba file) and at the bottom of the page it says "trust" on both lines, yet postgress won't let me proceed without a password.

Patvs
04-04-2011, 10:02 AM
click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box should appear. Type 'net user postgres /delete' (without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can (re)install PostgreSQL and it should accept any password.

hastijoe
04-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Your solution got me past the password problem, but now postgres install is asking me which port it should listen on, with port 5433 default. However, my current HEM database manager shows port 5432. Which should I use?

Patvs
04-04-2011, 10:24 PM
If it suggests 5433... another version of PostgreSQL is probably already installed on port 5432.

Are you installing a different version (8.4. and you had 8.3 before?).
Pick 5433 (otherwise you risk two versions of Postgresql both want to use the same port)