PDA

View Full Version : Stripe Block Size (RAID 0)?

ikoliii
04-03-2011, 04:40 AM
What size of Stripe Block Size is recommended to use in the options of RAID 0 for optimization Holdem Manager and PostgreSQL?

netsrak
04-03-2011, 06:49 AM
No idea, i ask Pat whether he has any idea.
But this is usually a question for postgresql experts.

Patvs
04-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Stripe size of 64KB for the RAID controller is best for most users. 128KB is for SQL databases or arrays that have very large files as the majority.

derders
02-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Hey Patvs,

this thread is old but I have tried to change the blocksize to 64kb to test it on my HDD-soft-raid0 and HM2 needs very longer to start. but after this huge delay I could make a test with some hands that I imported. speed was very good (4kb)300-350 (64)600+

my question is, what is wrong with HM2 or with my system if HM2 donīt read my own hands (Hm2 start takes 20min.) with 64kb and also with 32kb blocksize - with 4kb, 8kb and 16kb HM2 starts like it should and is useable

is it why Postgresql is set to 8kb blocksize by default(have read this somewhere) and I need to set it to 64kb or is this not possible for windows ? canīt find a good guide to try this.

or do I have to make a new db after setting the blocksize to 64kb and the old db canīt be used with it (must be rewritten)?

have seen some performance tests and wanted to try it for HM2+NC

thank you for some infoīs

Patvs
02-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Do you reformat your harddisk every time you change the blocksize?
And reinstall Windows?

Or is this a separate RAID array you only use for the database?
If it's a separate drive. You should also format it--> reinstall PostgreSQL and create a new database.

derders
02-23-2012, 12:47 AM
its a seperate RAID without OS and I reformat it for every try an copy back the old database from another hdd

postgresql detects automatically the blocksize if I reinstall it on a 64kb partition?
with reinstalling you mean also to make a brand new database too ?

Patvs
02-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Do you currently restore a backup of the database, or copy back the entire database (you temporarily moved to the other harddisk)?

Try creating a new database.

derders
02-23-2012, 11:19 PM
I have made a clean install of postgresql on a seperat partition with 64kb size and build a new DB and have no problem at the moment.

but is this all what I have to do with postgresql ? where can I look if postgre is also set to 64kb like the hdd-raid0 ? or is 8kb (default) the only setting for windows pcīs? a friend of me has told me to do this - but cant find a manual and he is also not familair with postgresql, has read this anywhere ...

Patvs
02-24-2012, 01:46 AM
PostgreSQL should use whatever blocksuze setting the harddisk is using.
I don't think you can edit this, but check the postgresql.config file.