PDA

View Full Version : Lowering my VPIP

jwheels
01-22-2009, 05:00 PM
After reading through article #1, I have wanted to experiment with lowering my VPIP. My VPIP is higher than I want it to be as I seek to hover around 26, rather than 31.6, which is where I am at now. I just want to compare stats with fellow players because I have been having difficulty doing so.

My VPIP breakdown (NL 6-max, between 4 and 6 players):
SB: 35.6
BB: 20.7
E: 19.6
M: 21.1
CO: 37.8
BT: 45.9

Is the obvious flaw that I am playing too many pots in SB? I think I might be overvaluing relative positioning (i.e. someone raising, there's one or two callers, I call in the SB, because on the flop I will have relative positioning).

Rvg72
01-23-2009, 05:02 AM
Most people would be much better off around 20-22% VPIP especially as you move up so you should make big adjustments to your preflop hand selection - at NL100 and up very few people with VPIP's above 25 are winners. Of course there are exceptions and some of the biggest winners are at higher VPIP's but very few people can get away with this.

Looking at the data and going by my own results 20-22 seems to be the sweet spot. Much lower than that and you are not only missing hands with lots of positive expectation but you are also making the hands you do play less valuable since your range will be tighter and therefor easier for a decent player to put you on a range of hands. Much higher than that and you will be facing a lot of difficult decisions where you are often out kicked or frequently forced to make big $ decisions on mediocre hands.

Additionally, keeping it lower allows you to play more tables effectively which is a plus.

Roy

_the_LOUCHE_one
02-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Agree with the above, you're playing too loose in every position IMO, my own stats are 22/17 but anything within a few % either side is fine. I havent got my stats on this computer but at a guess I would say something like:
EP: 11%
MP: 14%
CO: 22%
BTN: 35%
SB: 25%
BB: 20%
is probably ok. Try going into HEM and looking at your win/loss by position stripping out all the hands that aren't in the above range and looking at your results. (use PokerStove to get a range if you need to.) You should be able to see whether playing the extra hands you choose to play is profitable - if they are, then there is no need to change!

El Helado
02-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Would say that it depends on the table.... If you play NL u will probably be able to hunt superfish and then u can have a vp$ip of 40% optimally but if u play in most games without any real table selection then 22% is probably correct (cant really understand how u can see this as fun but okay).

rohan68
02-24-2009, 04:25 PM
is it sure for every limit eveyr site and every short handed?

i am beginning SH and i am 4BB/100 hands on (much more at the beginning but now i am losing or even session) on 10k hands so it s surely luck

, i play 18/15 on ongame 5 max

people seems to be quite loose (table average 30%),

should i open to be something like 20/18 22/20

thanks for your answers

El Helado
02-25-2009, 08:08 AM
is it sure for every limit eveyr site and every short handed?

i am beginning SH and i am 4BB/100 hands on (much more at the beginning but now i am losing or even session) on 10k hands so it s surely luck

people seems to be quite loose (table average 30%),

should i open to be something like 20/18 22/20

thanks for your answers

You need a deeper understanding of the game, preflopranges and statistics.

rohan68
02-25-2009, 10:20 AM
hello what do you mean?

help would be nice because i am about to make changes in my game
i would like to go to the right way

thanks

muzzard
02-25-2009, 11:50 AM

lol wat, thats extremely tight for 5max. I know some good LAGGY FR players that play like 18/15 or 17/14. You'll be extremely exploitable. Go play FR if you enjoy being a nit.

rohan68
02-25-2009, 11:53 AM
i come from FR i play SH since 2 month

muzzard
02-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I think I might be overvaluing relative positioning (i.e. someone raising, there's one or two callers, I call in the SB, because on the flop I will have relative positioning).

Being in the SB is the worst position, because post flop you have to act first, which is a disadvantage. Being in position, it is easier to make money, ie acting LAST.

Relative position, actually means acting after the raiser. Absolute position is being last to act. It's easier to make money being in position. SO therefore we need to raise/bet more hands IP than OOP.

muzzard
02-25-2009, 11:57 AM
i come from FR i play SH since 2 month

Welll either switch back or play looser, something around the mid20's is probably optimal. But if you didn't know this already, you need to look at your game in depth.

rohan68
02-25-2009, 12:05 PM
i will not go back so i will look my game and try to be looser but hm says my cb succed is only 45% when i cb 58% so i am a little afraid of being looser

El Helado
02-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Welll either switch back or play looser, something around the mid20's is probably optimal. But if you didn't know this already, you need to look at your game in depth.

Optimal at a 5handed game would probably 30-35ish vpip.

muzzard
02-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Optimal at a 5handed game would probably 30-35ish vpip.

I was thinking in terms of PFR, but this thread refers to VPIP, so you're right. It's hard to aim fgor a certain vpip, easier to aim for a PFR and the VPIP should naturally follow in at around the right range. Unless your limping/calling way too much PF

rohan68
02-26-2009, 11:28 AM
30/35 of VPIP? incredible, not for a tag play, for a loose one..

Rvg72
02-27-2009, 01:21 AM
30-35 VPIP for 5max is too high for most people. Something around 25 VPIP 22 PFR would probably be good. Some people can play looser and some people should play tighter - it depends but for a person starting out at these games having a VPIP in the 30's is asking for trouble.

You also mentioned that your CBet% is 58% - it should be WAY higher than that. 100% Cbet is better than 58% especially with how tight you are playing. I'd imagine something around 80% is probably close to ideal there

You should check out the first few articles - that will give you a really good indication of where you should be in a lot of these stats. Once you have more hands under your belt you can adapt your style to what suits you but starting from a strong base is important.

Roy

rohan68
02-27-2009, 04:28 AM
ok i thanks i am changing, i am playing 20/17 now...but i do not know why CB doesn't go up...

what does HM call CB? bet after preflop raise or bet after preflop raise when you only have a high card(real CB)

thanks a lot, i am look very carrefuly i wasn't sure if it was good to 5 max

have a nice day

El Helado
02-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Thought somehow we were talking about FL SH :P. Forget what i said about vpip

rohan68
02-27-2009, 07:37 AM
ok thanks for your help

RanGoot
07-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Try this range

Under the gun- AJ+/ATs+/KQ+/KJs+/22+, 98s,
Tight games 65s+, A5s+, Loose games:Add hands like KJo or ATo
Versus short stacks exclude 22-66 and <=98s. Include KJo, QJo, A9s, ATo,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hijack- Add A9s+ ATo+ KJo, KTs
Tight games QTs, 45s, A2s
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cutoff- Add A9o/A2s+/All Broadways/K9s/Q9s
connectors above 8 offsuit, connectors above 4 suited (1 gap OK)
Button- Add A2+/J9+/87+/ Any2Suited (be aware game flow and 3 bet tendencies)
Widen range as stack sizes grow and tighter the players
Versus short stacks avoid low cards
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blinds raising range v limpers 88+, AK, AJs+, KQs, Not AQo
First in raising range -Cards = 20, (Ace=14, K=13, Q=12 etc) add 2 for suited, add 9 for pairs, increase range versus tight players, avoid low cards with short stacks.
Versus small blind limper BvB raise weak cards, call with strong

Isolating:
Isolate weak tight players,
Isolate with high cards v looser players in heads up situations
Isolate with sc’s v tighter players or loose or weak players with big stacks and multi way situations
Avoid isolating with marginal hands when tight agg players behind you
Versus loose limp callers avoid 64s or 98o, prefer K9s or J9o

3 betting
3 bet mainly in position
The earlier position you 3 bet the ratio for value should be higher eg Hijack 4 to 1, BTN 3 to 2.
Versus frequent raisers who call 3 bets oop a lot, avoid low cards.
Pound weak fit or folders
Don’t 3 bet 1/2 stacks or less with non pair hands because you will be forced to call shove which they will often do with small pairs.
If a tag calls 3 bet oop their range is TT+ AQ+. Cbet A or K flop otherwise c/f
Do not cbet flop, check fold turn. Either c/f flop or 2 barrel.
If you 3 bet with non ace hands, bet fold ace flops without reads

From blinds
Vs UTG QQ+, AK or KK+ v tight 17/14 type player or JJ+ v loose player
Vs Hijack add JJ or TT from loose players AQ50% some sc’s
Vs CO add TT, AJs KQs 50% unsuited 30% some random crap
Vs button avoid low cards against loose callers, and avoid second best hands versus tight callers

Squeezing
Don’t squeeze with AQ, TT, JJ unless you intend to get all in
Don’t squeeze short stackers with marginal hands
Don’t squeeze tight utg raiser without value hands
Don’t squeeze donkey 3bet over callers without value hands
I f squeeze called by a tag don’t bet unlikely flops unless you are going to shove the turn
Squeeze often v weak tight players in position, squeeze much less oop
Don’t bet squeeze flops unless you are going to c/r or shove turn or if your opponent folds a lot

deforel72
07-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Hello ,

I play normally m.t.t. and have around 10 k of hands. Now i am profitable in these m.t.t. , but as said on lower buy-ins .

Wich is fine for me to build up a bankroll.My stats are here presented and i would love if someone could look at these .

I looked at different stats from other people and tried to find what is right for me !

Now if you give me some feedback of your expertise , would be much appreciated.

thank you ,

stats;

bb/100 14.44
vpip 25.4%
pfr% 15.5%
3bet% 5.0
wtsd% 40.3
w$sd% 53.4
agg 2.63
agg% 29.9

:)