PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Registry Fix altered PostGresSQL and it now won't work

aKiNa888
01-21-2009, 04:23 AM
My computer has been running slow, so I used a registry fix to help.
It must have deleted PostgresSQL from the registry and now Holdem Manager
can't connect to SQL.

I have a very comprehensive database and I really can't afford to lose it.
When I try to re-install SQL it says an existing version exists.

How can I get SQL to run online again without losing my database?

Thankyou

aKiNa888
01-21-2009, 05:16 AM
I've tried uninstalling PostgresSQL and re-installing.
For some reason it won't except my database password to re-install the program.

What can I do?

stretch00
01-21-2009, 12:20 PM
My computer has been running slow, so I used a registry fix to help.
It must have deleted PostgresSQL from the registry and now Holdem Manager
can't connect to SQL.

I have a very comprehensive database and I really can't afford to lose it.
When I try to re-install SQL it says an existing version exists.

How can I get SQL to run online again without losing my database?

Thankyou

did you BACKUP your REG before using what ever reg fix program you used? If so restore it!!! Then delete that reg fix program because you really should never change the REGISTRY in your computer!!! The claims that it will speed your computer up are ABSOLUTE CRAP.!!!! There are so many other thing you can do for performance. But trust me on this 1; if you DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING THE REGISTRY IN ANY PC IS THE LAST PLACE YOU SHOULD BE. I know this from a really bad experience myself that eventually I ended up after 14 days of IM/PHONE support with MS, buying another computer. Then after a clean re-install of my OS I now have 2 computers ! is for sale LOL I really hope this helps

morny
01-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah messing with the registry can lead to huge problems, one thing might work but i wouldnt be too hopeful:

First shut down the postgreSQL process by going to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services, look for PostgreSQL and right click and choose Stop:

Copy the C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/Data folder and put it somewhere safe and then uninstall postgreSQL via control panel. The go to C:/Program Files and delete the PostgreSQL folder. Now reinstall PostgreSQL http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=176 and then shut down the postgreSQL process by going to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services, look for PostgreSQL and right click and choose Stop.

Lastly go to C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/ and delete the data folder and replace it with the one you backed up then go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services, look for PostgreSQL and right click and choose Start.

If it dosent work than it looks like bad luck and youve done too much damage.