PDA

View Full Version : $ ev?

Nikita
01-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi all,

I'm new at HM and using the 15 Day Trial version at the moment. I want to buy the full pack when the 15 days are over but right now I have 2 quick questions:

1. What does it mean when the $ EV is negative? Do I play badly? And is it correct that if the $ EV is higher or lower then the $ I have been lucky/unlucky?

2. How can I see the folded hands from players right after a hand has been played?

It would be great of someone could help me out here:)

Cheers,
Nikita

morny
01-20-2009, 10:32 AM
1) http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=68

2) You can only see the hands if there is a showdown, on some sites like Ongame losing hands at showdown only appear if the opponent decides to show them but most sites show them

You can see them in the HUD also if they are shown by setting up mucked cards http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=139

Nikita
01-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks Morny, for the super fast reply:)

1. I already read this FAQ but just wanted to hear the answer to this question in 'normal words' (in my words I guess), perhaps from other players? Do you guys use this stat a lot ($ EV)? Does it say something about my choice of hands I play or just about the outcome?!

2. So there is no advantage in HM over the regular HH's of the site I play on (Betfred in this case)?

Thanks again,
Nikita

morny
01-20-2009, 10:46 AM
1) It just gives you an idea of how lucky you are, if your actually winning for the month was $5k and your all in luck says $7k then that means had you had average luck you should have won $2k more which basically means you probably lost alot of pots where you were a big favourite and/or lost more 50/50's than you won.

Dont forget in this example its not saying you should have won $7k in all in hands, its taking your actual amount won, then it adds up how much you should have won or lost with average luck in this case you should have won 2k more than you did and it adds that to your total winnings to show you what your actual total should have been with average luck.

2) Well the mucked hands can be displayed on your hud without having to open a new window to check them, that would be an advantage

Nikita
01-20-2009, 11:00 AM
1) Ok... so assuming I'd play only premium hands then my $ EV should always be PLUS?

So if my $ EV is minus I play too many hands/I play too loose?

morny
01-20-2009, 12:08 PM
No its nothing to do with your hands, if you get AA 100 times in a row and the villain has QQ then the odds of you winning are approx 4/1 (rounded to 4/1 to make it easy to calculate) this means that for every 5 of these hands you get all in with that you should win 4 of the 5 with average luck.

So over the 100 hands you should win 80 times and the villain should win 20 times. If for example you only won 70 times and the villain won 30 you would be running bad because you should have won 10 times more over that same if youd average luck. So if we assume you were playing 100nl in this scenario you should have won $100 x 80= $8000 where you really only won $100 x 70 = $7000 so your EV graph would say $8000 and your actual profit was $7000

Nikita
01-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Yes which is PLUS $7000.

If I would play 72 off suit 100 times I would assume I would get a negative $ EV figure right? Assuming other players play a higher range of hands.

Sorry for the continues questions back, just trying to see the use of the $ EV stat...

Al1
01-20-2009, 05:28 PM
In poker, you have generally a certain percentage to win a hand when you go all in, except if your opponent is drawing dead, it this case you have 100% chance to win.

But generally, you have for example 65%, which means you will take 65% of the pot on average. In the long run you will win 65% of the time.

But in a particular hand, you can only win it or lose it, thus you win 100% of the pot or nothing. The EV $ diff express what you have to add/substract from your current winnings to have the same result than your equity. $EV is what you are supposed to win if you where exactly on the equity.