PDA

View Full Version : Connection issue

fabiusgile
03-28-2011, 04:46 AM
Tried using FAQ says connection to PostgresSQL could not be made and brought me to the database control when l try to start it nothing happens.

Patvs
03-28-2011, 09:42 PM
This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it. And reboot.

If that doesn't help you will have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely

If you're new using HoldemManager and have a connection error during the main installer of HoldemManager, go straight to PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org) and manually install it.

---

The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services. Starting it once should insure it works in the future also.

fabiusgile
03-29-2011, 10:21 AM
still not working is there anyway we can do a teamviewer session or something?

Patvs
03-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Which error do you get exactly during the installation of 8.4.7?
Does it give an error at the end of the installation, or it installs but just won't run?

Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

fabiusgile
03-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm running postgres version 8.4 the error i'm receiving is failed to establish conection to 127.0.0.1. It did work before It stopped working after the last ftp update. I tried updating my postgres had no luck with that had to do a system restore. I'm using windows Vista.

Patvs
03-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Make sure the secondary logon is running:
The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services. Starting it once should insure it works in the future also.

Do a manual Windows Update, and instal every update, especially .net framework updates.

Did you try installing a different version of SQL to a different port. For example 8.2 to port 5433? Can you connect to that? Use: PostgreSQL: Choose a Mirror (http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp/binary/v8.2.20/win32/postgresql-8.2.20-1.zip)

Please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate.exe

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall for those files (and also for pg_ctl.exe and postgres.exe in the PostgreSQL/8.4/bin folder), even if the firewall is turned off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily

fabiusgile
03-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Tried installing 8.2 says this installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that u can access it or contact application vendor to verify that it is a valid windows installer. package tried all the other fixes gonna attempt to update windows as my last try right now

fabiusgile
03-29-2011, 11:33 PM
when I try to force start it through control panel services l get

Windows could nto start postgres servier 8.4 on local computer

ERror 1053: the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

fabiusgile
03-29-2011, 11:39 PM
updating windows right now... do you think if i uninstall HEM and postgres that would help reinstalling and would l lose my HH?

Patvs
03-30-2011, 12:12 AM
You don't have to reinstall HoldemManager.
Only focus on PostgreSQL.

You basically have two issues:
-1 manage to get PostgreSQL running so you can use HoldemManager (SQL 8.2 should work)
-2 being able to connect to your old database.
Do have important notes in your database? Or would it not be a complete disaster starting with a new database (with a different SQL version) being unable to access the old database?

If you really need to access the old database:
1 out of 10 times, you can still connect to it, by moving the database folder to a non-Program Files subfolders first. For example move everything to C:/PostgreSQL. And reinstall to that location instead. Also select a different port number when you do this. (5433)

If during the installation of PostgreSQL you don't get the chance to select the location of the data folder, and select a new port (because it will auto-detect the old info), uninstall PostgreSQL first with Revo Uninstaller (free version)..... because it's essential all the old registry keys with the old info are deleted from your system's registry.