PDA

View Full Version : Postgres nightmare!

Kidnhoody
03-26-2011, 09:45 PM
I have had holdem manager installed on my mac (using parralells) previously and then one day I got the msg that it could not connect to postgres 1.7.... etc. And I did probably the opposite of what I should have done... I tried to fix it following the directions in the FAQ page even though I am not the most computer savvy person and I deleted the postgres file and tried to download a new one... I failed at that too because I have no idea what the hell I am doing. Should I uninstall HM and download the combo installer? I am sure I will lose all my previous hands but I just want to play... I dont care anymore. PLEASE HELP!!!

Patvs
03-26-2011, 11:55 PM
This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it. And reboot.

If that doesn't help you will have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely

---

You don't have to uninstall HoldemManager.

You can safely uninstall/reinstall PostgreSQL, and it will not delete your existing database.

Kidnhoody
03-27-2011, 01:54 AM
Okay I tried the stop and start service thing... No help. And then I deleted my postgres file shortly after that. Im pretty sure I have to reinstall it. Which one should I choose?

netsrak
03-27-2011, 06:05 AM
If you install the same version as before you may be able to save your old data following this FAQ: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/71/Reinstall+PostgreSQL+Preserving+Old+Database

Our installer uses a 8.4 version which you can download as standalone installer at PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)

Kidnhoody
03-28-2011, 02:44 AM
Do I choose the MAc Osx option or the Windows option? I am running windows 7 through parallels on my new mac.:confused:

Patvs
03-28-2011, 02:54 AM
Install the Windows PostgreSQL on the Windows 7 environment.