PDA

View Full Version : Installation Questions

blizzard
07-28-2008, 02:10 PM
I attempted to install HM but stopped the installation when I began to get quite a few messages from my security software regarding the things HM installation was trying to do. Could someone please explain to me the following:

1. Why must HM access the internet multiple times during installation?

2. HM tries to create values with illegal names in SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptopgaphy\RNG. Why?

Thanks,

Blizzard

Rvg72
07-28-2008, 08:57 PM
1) The new registration system relies on an internet based verification. No personal information is sent.
2) I've never heard of this but I imagine it is the registration software as well since I don't do anything like that.

Roy

blizzard
07-29-2008, 11:09 AM
1) The new registration system relies on an internet based verification. No personal information is sent.
2) I've never heard of this but I imagine it is the registration software as well since I don't do anything like that.

Roy

The issues I described occur before getting to registration, if by registration you are referring to entering the information obtained by purchase.

I am rather concerned about these issues, especially the writing to the RNG.

Can you determine from your registration vendor what is actually happening?

blizzard
07-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Is it possible to get an answer? Please.

I just can't imagine why anyone would risk installing this software when the installation process attempts to write illegal values to the system RNG.

I really think this issue should be explained by the developers.

The previous answer just begged the question.

Rvg72
07-30-2008, 03:20 PM
I think you are being quite paranoid - I already explained why the program hits the internet. Regarding the RNG registry entries, I have no idea but like I said it is probably the registration software doing it.

Roy

blizzard
07-30-2008, 04:09 PM
I think you are being quite paranoid - I already explained why the program hits the internet. Regarding the RNG registry entries, I have no idea but like I said it is probably the registration software doing it.

Roy

Paranoid?

That's your answer?

Let me get this straight.
(1) You have no idea why your program writes RNG registry entries,
(2) You have no interest in determining why it writes RNG registry entries, and
(3) Your program cannot be installed unless the computer on which it will be installed is connected to the internet during the installation process.

Sorry Ray, your attitude is simply not acceptable. The risk is too great to use this program without full disclosure of what occurs during installation.

If others are wondering about the security software that I use that detected the issues described in this thread, they are Kaspersky anti-virus and Outpost firewall.

blizzard
08-01-2008, 09:03 AM
I think you are being quite paranoid. . . . Regarding the RNG registry entries, I have no idea but like I said it is probably the registration software doing it.

Roy

Do you still have "no idea" why HM writes RNG registry entries?