PDA

View Full Version : Error: Root element missing!

Crazy_dog
01-13-2009, 02:49 PM
'An error occurred while loading the prefs files: Root element missing.'

That is what HM is writing to me when I try to start it. HM worked fine for a couple of months, then this suddenly occured and I am unable to do anything about it! Looked at another similar thread, where u suggested to delete the config file. Tried that didnt work. Removed the program from the computer and tried to both reinstall and install it totally from the beginning it didnt work either...

What to do? I am lost :confused:

Al1
01-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Can you reinstall following those steps:

1) Make a backup of the "Config" folder in a safe location, this folder is in the RVG Software\Holdem Manager\ folder
2) Export your HUDs via "HUD Options => Player Preferences"
3) Uninstall HM via the Control Panel
4) Go to Program Files and delete the RVG Software directory, or the equivalent for Vista
5) Reboot your computer
6) Install the complete setup of HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/holdemmanager.zip
7) Upload HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmUpdate1.07beta.exe
8) Test if it works for a while and if it does proceed to step 9
9) Overwrite the backuped "holdemmanager.config" file in the new Config directory to recover your settings
10) Test if it works again for another while and if it does proceed to step 11
11) Import your HUDs via "HUD Options => Player Preferences"
12) Test if it works

Crazy_dog
01-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Sitting at my home computer - not able to do anything w my workcomputer now.

But 2 things before I return to work tomorrow and try ur suggestions.

I can't open either hud or hm so suggestion 2 not possibel... Only thing I havent done is suggestion 4. But if that should make it work - that would be perfect :-)

Al1
01-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Sitting at my home computer - not able to do anything w my workcomputer now.

But 2 things before I return to work tomorrow and try ur suggestions.

I can't open either hud or hm so suggestion 2 not possibel... Only thing I havent done is suggestion 4. But if that should make it work - that would be perfect :-)

Yeha, that's generally by removing the RVG folder that you solve a lot of issue.

Crazy_dog
01-15-2009, 11:40 AM
done that and it worked for almost 20 minutes and then hm broke down with same error message again!!! Getting frustrated here!?!?! What to do? Could see it had still kept my hh even though i had removed the program totally!!

morny
01-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Im not sure why it done it again, doing that should fix it, are you forcing HM to close or something, other than that i cant think why it would do this but repeating Als instructions will fix the problem

Crazy_dog
01-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Well to be honest it made me go too much on technical tilt - and dont want that to happen again... So changed to PT3 on my work-station :( but still running HM on my home-computer as it is my preferred program :-)