PDA

View Full Version : best way to export a large database

Juuza
01-13-2009, 12:48 AM
I have a pretty large (I think?) database. I don't know how many hands are in it, but there is almost 80k unique players. I'm looking to export all the hands in it, including the observed ones and save it as a backup incase something happens to my HDD.

I tried exporting it through Database Management, but the program just hanged even after I left it on for several hours. I suppose the database is too big to export this way.

What's the best way to export a large database?

morny
01-13-2009, 12:12 PM
It will appear to hang even with a small amount of hands, with a big database it may take a few hours so it would be better to do this overnight and it should be ready in the morning.

You can also use this method:

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=12 Although its not as reliable as exporting the hands

Bloged
01-13-2009, 02:14 PM
This post has to a way to dump a database directly from PostGresSQL.

http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5985

Grtz, Bloged

mksmipalla
01-13-2009, 05:50 PM
I keep getting confused by this. Why is it not the same thing? Isn't having your HMArcive folder backed up that same as exporting the hands from the data base. Which is the better or safer way to do this. Should I be exporting my hands from the data base every so often as a back up?

morny
01-13-2009, 08:40 PM
As long as youve the original HH then thats fine, some people dont keep these though so exporting is the best option in that case

Al1
01-13-2009, 08:44 PM
I keep getting confused by this. Why is it not the same thing? Isn't having your HMArcive folder backed up that same as exporting the hands from the data base. Which is the better or safer way to do this. Should I be exporting my hands from the data base every so often as a back up?

No. HEM software with all his settings in stored in the "RVG Software" folder.
But HEM, like others tracker store the informations of your hands in a database. The database is another software. One of the best DB software in the world is postgreSQL and that's the one HM use.

Of course, like Morny said, you can also recreate a new postgreSQL DB from your original HHs files.

dqmien
04-28-2009, 07:24 AM
Hi,

Despite your explanations I'm still confuse.

I have a huge database (20 million hands). I got 2.5 go in .txt in my Poker room folder and 15go of files in my PostgreSQL database.

I would like to give those hands to a friend so he can import them in his HEM database and use them too.

How should I proceed please.

Thanks in advance.

morny
04-28-2009, 03:54 PM
You can export the hands from your database http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=173 and send them. If you were archiving your folder from the very beginning you may already have all the hands in your archive folder so you could send those either whatever is handiest

dqmien
04-28-2009, 05:20 PM
OK thanks a lot for your help :)

One last question :

the database control panel will become greyed out and unusuable during this process which can take some time depending on the amount of hands you have

Is that normal that the status of the database control panel is "not responding" while it is exporting the HHs ?

dqmien
04-28-2009, 05:43 PM
it worked.

massivroom
01-20-2015, 03:45 PM
hey, i have this exported database file... is it possible to extract this back in HH files? I need those to be able to upload it to a cloud. Thanks!

Patvs
01-21-2015, 04:58 AM
You can't extract the HHs.

You'll have to restore the backup first.
In a HM1 database (once you have it restored, or if you still have an old database), you can also export the hands even if you don't have access to HM1 anymore.

Run dbcontrolpanel.exe from the HM1 folder, and you can export the hands.