PDA

View Full Version : I want to try backing up my DB, and resinstalling hem

UWjoe
03-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Is the link below everything i should do to make sure it works?

http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup+%26+Restore+Database

Patvs
03-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Yes... in pgadminIII make sure you get no error messages at the end of the backup, or it could be a sign of a corrupt index (common problem).

Also backup your C:HMArchive folder containing the original handhistories.
If you use HoldemManager NOTES, also manually export your notes fist.

UWjoe
03-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Yes... in pgadminIII make sure you get no error messages at the end of the backup, or it could be a sign of a corrupt index (common problem).

Also backup your C:HMArchive folder containing the original handhistories.
If you use HoldemManager NOTES, also manually export your notes fist.

For that do i just make a copy of the entire folder and rename/save it to another location?

Patvs
03-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Yes... or ZIP/RAR the folder (will make it a whole LOT smaller) and save the ZIp/RAR file to a different location.

UWjoe
03-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Yes... or ZIP/RAR the folder (will make it a whole LOT smaller) and save the ZIp/RAR file to a different location.

is there any benefit to going through the steps to backup the database (which is likely corrupt) vs just moving the HHs and reimporting them all into a fresh install?

UWjoe
03-23-2011, 08:25 PM
is there any benefit to going through the steps to backup the database (which is likely corrupt) vs just moving the HHs and reimporting them all into a fresh install?
i could upgrade to a more recent postgres version more easily this way too it seems

Patvs
03-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Best thing for you to do: upgrade PostgreSQL (8.4.7 or 9.0.3) start fresh-> reimport the hands.

The advantage of backup/restore in pgadminIII is, if you have a multi-million hand database, reimporting hands will take many hours... sometimes even DAYS (with a slow harddisk).

Restoring a .backup file will take a maximum of 2 hours (even if the database is huge and the harddisk is slow). So especially players that have a subscription to PokerTableRatings (or datamine themselve) and have millions of observed handhistories in their database, it's in their best interest to create BACKUPS regularly... it would take too much time for them (time they can't play poker) to reimport everything.

UWjoe
03-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Best thing for you to do: upgrade PostgreSQL (8.4.7 or 9.0.3) start fresh-> reimport the hands.

The advantage of backup/restore in pgadminIII is, if you have a multi-million hand database, reimporting hands will take many hours... sometimes even DAYS (with a slow harddisk).

Restoring a .backup file will take a maximum of 2 hours (even if the database is huge and the harddisk is slow). So especially players that have a subscription to PokerTableRatings (or datamine themselve) and have millions of observed handhistories in their database, it's in their best interest to create BACKUPS regularly... it would take too much time for them (time they can't play poker) to reimport everything.

ok i think thats what im going to do but since im killing my old db anyhow this way im going to purge all the HHs and see what diference that makes in feel beforehand

already have the HM archive folder with all the hhs copied so it seems like it should be fine

when im ready for a fresh install do i just "uninstall" hem and the postgres version i have?

also if the new DL of hem doesnt do it for me, where do i DL SQL 9.3 (is that the best version to use?)

Patvs
03-23-2011, 09:06 PM
The HoldemManager combo installer will install HoldemManager + PostgreSQL 8.4.1

But there is no need to reinstall/uninstall "HoldemManager".

---

When you're ready for a fresh install, only:
-update PostgreSQL--> reimport your hands--> export your notes/bonus/rakeback info/custom HUD from the old database--> when finished delete the old database
-or... install a different version of PostgreSQL to a different port number (for example 9.0.3 to port 5433 using the installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org))
--> Reimport the hands--> export your notes/bonus/rakeback info/custom HUD from the old database--> when finished delete the old database---> And if you'd like completely uninstall the old PostgreSQL.

I use 9.0.3 (64 bit).
If you don't have a 64 bit operation system, use 9.0.3 (32 bit).
Do note that there are advantages of using 8.4.7 instead, as 9.0.3 is not officially supported... yet. (but it will run just fine)

UWjoe
04-02-2011, 10:29 PM
The HoldemManager combo installer will install HoldemManager + PostgreSQL 8.4.1

But there is no need to reinstall/uninstall "HoldemManager".

---

When you're ready for a fresh install, only:
-update PostgreSQL--> reimport your hands--> export your notes/bonus/rakeback info/custom HUD from the old database--> when finished delete the old database
-or... install a different version of PostgreSQL to a different port number (for example 9.0.3 to port 5433 using the installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org))
--> Reimport the hands--> export your notes/bonus/rakeback info/custom HUD from the old database--> when finished delete the old database---> And if you'd like completely uninstall the old PostgreSQL.

I use 9.0.3 (64 bit).
If you don't have a 64 bit operation system, use 9.0.3 (32 bit).
Do note that there are advantages of using 8.4.7 instead, as 9.0.3 is not officially supported... yet. (but it will run just fine)

i upgraded to 8.4.7, created a new DB, imported all the hands, exported notes ...

just need to make sure the old db is actually deleted

i deleted the 8.3 subdirectory from pgadmin but i dont know if that deleted the old database or just the path to access it (im guessing the latter since it was very fast and i would have expected it would have taken a while for that large of a chunk of data)

UWjoe
04-02-2011, 10:39 PM
i upgraded to 8.4.7, created a new DB, imported all the hands, exported notes ...

just need to make sure the old db is actually deleted

i deleted the 8.3 subdirectory from pgadmin but i dont know if that deleted the old database or just the path to access it (im guessing the latter since it was very fast and i would have expected it would have taken a while for that large of a chunk of data)

ya it just removed the server

so ive still got to delete the DB(s) it accesses and then uninstall remove 8.3 altogether

and so far im not figuring out how to do that except maybe by reenabling 8.3?

netsrak
04-03-2011, 06:46 AM
You deleted the whole postgresql 8.3 folder and subfolders? (Its something like c:\program files\postgresql\8.3)
The files for the old database should have been in the data subfolder of this path.
So i guess you deleted everything you only see the database in the configuration files or something like that.