PDA

View Full Version : A few questions regarding back up and folder sizes etc.

etay0330
01-12-2009, 04:43 AM
First of all thanks in advance for your help. I'm running out of disk space and trying to free up some space.

1. I do a backup every week or so. I do a database backup from pgAdmin, export notes and export hands to my backup folder as well. That should be sufficient in case of any data lost right?

2. I only play on Pokerstars and it's the only place I'll be playing at in the foreseeable future. When I set up the import folder, I set up a folder to move the hh to after being imported as well. However, I just found something interesting. The folder where the hh are being moved to has a size of about 500mb but the folder where I export all the hands to has a size of 4g+? Why is there such a big difference? If I regularly export hands for backup purpose, it doesn't really matter if i clean out the folder where the hh are moved to after being processed every now and then right?

3. The size of my postgresSql folder is over 40g? Is there anyway to reduce the size through some kinda of compress of cleanup process? Is there any files in there that I can get rid of after I do a backup?

Al1
01-12-2009, 09:07 AM
1. I do a backup every week or so. I do a database backup from pgAdmin, export notes and export hands to my backup folder as well. That should be sufficient in case of any data lost right?

Yes.

2. I only play on Pokerstars and it's the only place I'll be playing at in the foreseeable future. When I set up the import folder, I set up a folder to move the hh to after being imported as well. However, I just found something interesting. The folder where the hh are being moved to has a size of about 500mb but the folder where I export all the hands to has a size of 4g+? Why is there such a big difference? If I regularly export hands for backup purpose, it doesn't really matter if i clean out the folder where the hh are moved to after being processed every now and then right?

HM do a lot of thing with your HHs informations, calculations etc... It doesn't blindly copy/paste your HHs.

Deleting your Archived HHs won't affect your DB, but don't do that! Those hands are very useful in case you need one time to recreate a new DB (imagine your DB becomes corrupted and you have lost your backups...).
If you play on PokerStars, you can request all your HHs at any time if you email the support, but nevertheless it's better to keep you HHs text files, it can take a while before PS recover all your hands.

3. The size of my postgresSql folder is over 40g? Is there anyway to reduce the size through some kinda of compress of cleanup process? Is there any files in there that I can get rid of after I do a backup?

You can perhaps purge some datamined hands and run a vaccum to recover some space.

You can delete every files which are in the pg_log folder from postgreSQL. It doesn't affect nothing and pg_log is sometimes very big.

lirarmange
02-13-2009, 04:23 AM
The size of my PostgreSQL folder is ~20Gb, but how big will a backup be?
There are some options in the backup prompt in pgAdmin, Ill guess PLAIN is like 1:1, but how much smaller will the backup be with COMPRESS or TAR?

hopefully I can fit it on a 8Gb thumbdrive, maybe I can RAR the backup to compress even more? ;)

lirarmange
02-24-2009, 03:33 PM
I have made a backup now, and for those interested, 22Gb database with PLAIN backup --> 10Gb backup file --> 1Gb rar file with normal compression.

Quite fast too, 1-3 hours for the backup (left the computer so I dont know the exact time) and 45min for the RAR. (cpu: AMD x2 4600+, disks: 2x250Gb in RAID 0)

vlsup
02-25-2009, 03:08 AM
is there an option in Postgre to stop logging at all?

fabio
02-25-2009, 04:00 AM
You can edit your postgresql.conf file and change
logging_collector = on to
logging_collector = off

lirarmange
03-11-2009, 02:18 AM
I have made a backup now, and for those interested, 22Gb database with PLAIN backup --> 10Gb backup file --> 1Gb rar file with normal compression.

PLAIN backup was a bad decision, turned out that pgAdmin III cant restore the database from that file... :mad:

Well, after some google and trial n error I got my database up again. I had to use the command line with the command:

psql -d database_name -U postgres_userName -f backup_file