PDA

View Full Version : Using Holdem-Manager without disabling PostgreSQL?

Jeffsteez
01-11-2009, 10:17 PM
I really don't want to turn UAC on my system off. It offers a level of protection that I'd really rather not be without.

I've got Holdem Manager installed and working with UAC off, but I'm not comfortable leaving it off. It also seems that when turning UAC on and off, you need to restart your machine - so it's not too convenient to only turn UAC off when you intend to play.

I am under the impression that if the correct permissions and privilages are set for Holdem Manager, PostgreSQL, archive folders , it should be possible to have the software function perfectly without disabling UAC.

This would offer the best of both world.

Has anyone sucessfully done this?
Can the developers chime on how it could be done?
Thanks

morny
01-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Ive seen very few people run this successfully, sometimes it works but does really weird things like show a few k less stats on a player or import some hands and not others without any pattern etc

The vast majority of people cant use PostgreSQL properly when its on even if they run as admin however. I know its an extra level of security but it wasnt thought through very well IMO if it causes so much problems with so many programs plus it dosent have a memory so you need to tell it every single time that you want permission to access the same program youve access tons of times

Jeffsteez
06-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Any progress/change on this issue yet?

Holdem Manager is the only program I have that requires me to turn on UAC. I've actually not used it since shortly after I posted previously. I have other important and sensitive thing on my computer and I'm simply not willing to operate with UAC turned off.

Anyone had any luck playing with permissions/paths?

morny
06-02-2009, 10:59 AM
If you install both PostgreSQL and HM in users/myusername/appData/local folder UAC will run fine however you need to make that folder an unhidden folder before starting unstalling.