PDA

View Full Version : backup errors

Jelly
01-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Recently I used pgAdmin III to try and backup my database and ran into problems. The error message had something in it about ftell errors and after the backup was aborted I was left with a backup file that was a little over 2gb in size. This looks like a 32 bit signed integer problem to me.

Aside from removing old db records in order to decrease my db size, what are my options here?

morny
01-11-2009, 07:31 PM
There may be issues with something in the database so export all the hands from the current database http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=173 and into a new database.

If you keep a copies of the exported files thats the same as a backup but if you need to do a backup later then it should work now in this new database

Jelly
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
There may be issues with something in the database so export all the hands from the current database http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=173 and into a new database.

If you keep a copies of the exported files thats the same as a backup but if you need to do a backup later then it should work now in this new database

Are you saying it's definitely not a file size issue with pgAdmin III?

morny
01-11-2009, 09:45 PM
:o I thought that was a mispelling for fatal errors.

ive not come across this before, can you post the exact errors and ill check with Roy

Jelly
01-12-2009, 12:11 AM
:o I thought that was a mispelling for fatal errors.

ive not come across this before, can you post the exact errors and ill check with Roy

Sorry, I don't have the error message anymore. But I did try and interpret it, and the only part of it that looked significant was the repeated occurrence of the word ftell (a file position command) in a phrase, also repeated several times, that went something like "ftell error encountered while...". So, I assumed the value returned from the function was negative and triggered the error message. The rest was pretty useless.

If there is a forum for pgAdmin, maybe I'll post a question there.

Yuor mstiake rgeradnig the splelnig erorr is prefcetly nromal. It's intreseting to tihnk taht it mgiht eevn porvdie us wtih isngiht into how the brian porcseses imfronaiton (but porblbay not). :confused: