PDA

View Full Version : Formatted Computer Question

Drew1
03-21-2011, 03:59 AM
Hi. I just formatted my desktop and it is windows 7. I didn't mind this because my computer was very slow and even though i knew i was going to lose everything i had in HEM, i was fine with it.

However, i noticed that when i checked my C drive, i had 361gb free out of a possible 451gb. My hard drive is 500gb and this didn't make any sense. I was expecting it to have like 425gb free out of 451gb like i had it when i got my computer brand new last year.

Then i checked my folders and saw that there is this folder called windows.old. After i click it, there is this folder called something like programfiles86x and i see tons of programs like bodog, pokerstars and even the folder HMArchive and when i click on it, i see it has files for every single month and all that.

My question is, did windows 7 automatically just backed this up for me? I thought everything was suppose to be gone. I'm going to install HEM back again. My question is, is all those files going to be imported into HEM? I didn't mind that i was going to start HEM with a completely new database but since it seemed like my files got backed up, does that mean i still have the hands? I remembered that i had about 1.7 million hands in the database.

Would you guys recommend me to delete all those files that were saved as backup? And is the correct way to delete them just delete them like the way you delete a document file?

netsrak
03-21-2011, 05:05 AM
I guess its just windows that backupped your files. If you want to start from scratch you should format your hdd before installing windows.

To get the data back into HM you need to manually import them from the archive via import file or import from folder. Don't use the auto-import for tasks like this.

I wouldn't recommend to delete the files after the import, you should save them on an external hdd or DVD.

Drew1
03-21-2011, 12:55 PM
netsrak are you saying since i still have my backup files, that even if i reinstall HEM right now, then i would have no hands of anything when i open up HEM?

And if i don't , i need to import the files. How long would that take?

Drew1
03-21-2011, 07:48 PM
netsrak, would it fine if i just deleted the windows.old file? Its taking 62gb.

By the way, since i still have all my stuff backed up because of windows 7, how long would it take to manually import it? And if i don't that means when i start hem, it would be new database correct?

I prefer to start fresh. Should i format my desktop again or is that unnecessary? Would deleting the windows.old file be good enough?

Patvs
03-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Try to extract the HMArchive folder from the backup file.
Then delete the Windows.old file.

Reimport your HMArchive folder into a new HoldemManager database.

1.7 million hands. It all depends on the speed of your computer/harddisk. At 50 hands/s the import will take about 10 hours.

Drew1
03-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Patvs. I deleted the windows.old folder already. However, i still see a folder called HMArchive and it contains tons of hand histories. Does that mean i can still import it right now and its not too late?

Also, if i don't want to import these 1.7 million hands, Should i delete the folder if I'm not going to use the 10 hours to import it? And can i just DELETE the folder like that or is there a right way to delete it?

Patvs
03-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Never the delete the HMArchive folder, as it contains the original handhistories.

If you played most of your hands on either Full Tilt or PokerStars, you can also email them to request every hand you've ever played and import those files to get all the hands in your database.

---

Start with a import from folder on the current HMArchive folder, since you want all your old hands back in a new database right?

Drew1
03-22-2011, 12:33 AM
Also, is there a reason why i don't see a full tilt folder there? Am i suppose to add this folder myself? The pokerstars one's showed up when i pressed AUTO DETECT.

If i have to do the full tilt one myself, do i just click the regular full tilt folder? The name is something like C:/Program Files (x86)/ full tilt poker. And then for Archive Folder, i clicked on HMArchive.

Is that right?

Under the current program folders besides the 4 i wrote earlier, this one should say

C:/Program Files (x86)/ full tilt poker + subfolders correct? And if so, how come its x86 but not for pokerstars?

netsrak
03-22-2011, 04:52 AM
No thats not correct - there must be a subfolder handhistory in the ftp installation folder. This is the one to select.

If you don't see this folder please check the handhistory configuration of your ftp client and play at least one cash game hand.

This path entries are generated by the installers of the pokerclients, they use different strategies.

Drew1
03-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi. So are you saying remove that full tilt folder i added? And is it only full tilt that i need to play a hand first for that folder yuou are talking to show up and pokerstars is thus different?

One last question. Since i have the HMArchive, even if i start playing now and thus log hands on players, i can still import the 1.7 million hands like next week or next month right? But if i do that, i have to let it import for 10 hours without touching the computer?

Patvs
03-22-2011, 11:40 PM
PokerStars: will create the handhistory folder, when you turn on (in the PokerStars client) it has to save the handhistories.

Full Tilt: you'll have to play a hand first.
In setting up HoldemManager, I usually just manually create the Program Files/Full Tilt Poker/Handhistory folder, so I can use the "auto detect" in HoldemManager to detect that folder.

It depends per pokersite, if you need to play a hand first, or they automatically create the folder even without playing a hand.

--

You can always choose to import the 1.7 millions hands (by running a "import from folder" on the archive folder) next week/month.
You don't need to import them all at once. You can import for an hour--> STOP the import--> then run another import the next day, and it will continue where it left off. (or it will quickly go over the old files again, but it won't actually import duplicate files... so that will go so fast, it will basically just always continue where it left off)