PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing POSTGRESQL

Pinocchio
01-10-2009, 09:06 AM
hi,

I have saved the postgresql installation file to my desktop. After I open the file and click next on the language select page I get an error message saying;

'The installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer package'

Anyone know how to solve this?

TY

Al1
01-10-2009, 01:26 PM
You have to extract the content of the archive before starting the installation.

Tell me if it works.

Pinocchio
01-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks.

I can now get to the Initialize database cluster window. When I press next I get a error message saying;

'The specified data directory is not empty.

If you have an existing database with the same major version number, you do not need to initialize a database cluster. If you have an existing database with a different major version you need to back up your old database and create a new one.

?

Thanks

Al1
01-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks.

I can now get to the Initialize database cluster window. When I press next I get a error message saying;

'The specified data directory is not empty.

If you have an existing database with the same major version number, you do not need to initialize a database cluster. If you have an existing database with a different major version you need to back up your old database and create a new one.

?

Thanks

Cancel the installation. Check if there is an option to uninstall postgreSQL via the Control Panel like you do for every software. I think you will find nothing.
After that.
Go to Program Files (or the equivalent for Vista) and manually delete the PostgreSQL folder. Restart your computer and try to install PostgreSQL again.