PDA

View Full Version : Installing PostgreSQL on Mapped Network Drive (MAC running XP Pro)

Cruicksie
01-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Having an issue trying to get HEM to run on a MAC running XP Pro...

Cannot partion FAT32 and create an NTFS partition because of dual operating systems on the MAC HDD.

Have tried Mapping a NTFS network drive on another PC and installing postgres to this drive... But the installation fails...

Error Message: Cannot create temporary directory

Is it possible to run PostgreSQL on a mapped network drive with HEM???

If so how does one do it???

Edit: Have googled the forum and have not found much that helps with my specific problem.

morny
01-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Im not really sure as we dont support MAC but hopefully some other MAC users may be able to help you or possibly post on a MAC forum

Cruicksie
01-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Not necassarily a MAC issue... more an issue of getting HEM to work a PC with FAT32 HDD

the issue is getting postgreSQL to work over a mapped network drive on another XP NTFS HDD because current HDD is FAT32 and cant be partitioned because of dual operating systems.

Anybody have any experience with this???

Al1
01-10-2009, 01:45 PM
I play on a Mac Mini on WinXP sp3 (bootcamp). I thought I had installed it in FAT32 and I just realize it is on NTFS.

Bloged
01-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Not necassarily a MAC issue... more an issue of getting HEM to work a PC with FAT32 HDD

the issue is getting postgreSQL to work over a mapped network drive on another XP NTFS HDD because current HDD is FAT32 and cant be partitioned because of dual operating systems.

Anybody have any experience with this???

You want to use another computers HDD to install PostGres to? Why not install the server on that computer and connect via network to it. So instead of "localhost" use the computers IP address?

Grtz, Bloged

Cruicksie
01-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Bloged how exactly do i do that?

I have some technical ability but have never done this before...

Bloged
01-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Ok, this means you have two computers one running Windows XP and the other is your MAC.

On your Windows XP machine install PostGres using this link:
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=176
This machine will become your PostGres server. Now go to Start->Run and enter "cmd" without the " as command. A dosbox pops up and then type "ipconfig" again with out the ".
Some information about your network will show in the dosbox note the one after IP address. It will look like ###.###.###.### where # is a number remember this number.

Now on your MAC install HM and then when creating a database connection you will see "Server Name" with 127.0.0.1 in the box replace this with the number you just remembered from the dosbox. Everything else should be according to the link given!

Hope this helps, if not I will check this forum to answer any question!

Grtz, Bloged

Cruicksie
01-12-2009, 09:12 AM
thanks Bloged will give it a try tonight

Bloged
01-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Ok let me know how it went...

iamavibe
01-12-2009, 10:48 AM
hmmmmm... having some issues

says it cant start the service on the mac running xp... are there any settings on the other machine that i need to change???

iamavibe
01-12-2009, 10:52 AM
sorry iamvibe and cruicksie same people trying to solve same problem

the mac cant connect and cant start the service... any setting that need changing on the host machine?

Bloged
01-12-2009, 11:34 AM
says it cant start the service on the mac running xp... are there any settings on the other machine that i need to change???

What says it? Holdem Manager and it is speaking about the PostGres I suppose? Could you give a idea how you set it up?

Grtz, Bloged

Bloged
01-12-2009, 11:37 AM
sorry iamvibe and cruicksie same people trying to solve same problem

the mac cant connect and cant start the service... any setting that need changing on the host machine?

Sorry I forgot you have to allow non-local connections see here for information:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/client-authentication.html

Hope you will get it running...

Grtz, Bloged

Cruicksie
01-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Still having issues...

Cant get the MAC to connect to the Database on the host machine...
The host machine is installed exactly as per the HEM instructions.
The MAC has postgres installed without a service...

Have fiddled with the two config files mentioned but still no connection...
Have also disabled both firewalls...

anything im missing??

I still get that it cant connect, do i want to start the service, service cant be started

Bloged
01-12-2009, 12:39 PM
It might be that HM wants to start the PostGres service which isn't available because it is on the other computer.... Hopefully someone of the HM-support can give an answer to this question!

Grtz, Bloged

Cruicksie
01-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Does anybody know how to make a host in postgres and then get another pc to connect to that server!?

morny
01-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Ill ask Roy about this as ive no experience with Macs or advanced PostgreSQL but in the meantime id suggest visiting the PostgrSQL forums and searching/posting for an answer.

Cruicksie
01-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Managed to get someone to help set it up just having issues with client side accessing host. issues with postgres config files not existing when it is not installed as a service and have not initialized a db cluster.

Will let u know if and when i get it sorted

edit: lol issue is config on server side. my bad

Bloged
01-12-2009, 07:09 PM
edit: lol issue is config on server side. my bad

No problem as long as you get it working :cool:

Grtz, Bloged